Home Reno- recommendations please!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by UdOman, 22nd Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. UdOman

UdOman New Member

Hello Everyone

I am in vermont Vic and on a tight budget- I will appreciate your suggestions-advice as I have no experience in these matters- would also appreate on your suggestions as to whats would be approximate costs? - n no I am not developer- first home buyer with a almost killer of a mortage

1) I live in SLO overlay area and I need fence permit (vicsmart?)and a fence. I do believe drafts person can help me (thats what I have been told so far) and it will cost couple of Ks? there is a tree within 4 mtrs of the planned fence. Both side neighbors already have fence, I currently have hedge but no front enterance gates.
    Could you please recommend me a draftsperson and a fencer.

2. Stumper? I currently have wood stumps--1 person said 8 k for house stumps and house is falling- however there floors do not move --doors and windows are straight-no funny noises - house is 50 year old though but had an extension -other guy said it will go on and third guy said underpining is required ( small crack) on one exterior wall- and it will cost me 12-14k and fourth 1400 per pin- and he reckon it will need 8 !!!- it is doing my head in.

4.One guy suggested there is a water leak -I have already monitered water meter so there is no leak in pipes upto taps and what not-if there is then it is from water sewerage -sink etc- although there is space underneath the house but not too much either! so can some tell if plumbers can look for water leak? or whats ur suggestion/? - can the same person do downpipes check as well? any recommendations?

4 Renderer?

5. I was thinking of putting spotted gum timber floors? anythoughts on if I can do lay it myself (i am not too bad at learning and doing things) I have been cost of $40 for laying and same for sanding (new timber floors -would i need it?) and polishing so $80 + 80 for timber!!! your thoughts and recommendations.

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this house is worth renovating. Call a structural engineer ASAP for advice.

1. Call a major local fencing company and ask for advice on permits. Get a quote or two. The length and type of fence will give you the cost. Ask your neighbours who they used.
    2. It sounds like it will cost 8 - 12 k to fix the stumps. Engage a structural engineer and get them to cost it for you. May need to think about whether this house is worth renovating or pulling down. Demo could cost 20k so you are financially in pain either way. Fix this ASAP and / or sell the house with this information available.
    3. Get a licensed plumber and go from there. Couple of hundred for a call out. Is this house worth fixing?
    4. Render is not worth worrying about until the house is structurally sound.
    5. Contact a floor retailer and get the floor done properly. This is the least of your worries.

3. UdOman

UdOman New Member

Thanks hobartchic for your post!
    Even though part of the house is 50 year old- it has been maintained well and part of it had been added on- so it does not look like or is an old shabby cottage- so me see if I can find a good stumper-although there are tell tale signs stumps giving up on the house!

check some pics
    Imgur
    [​IMG]

4. hobartchic

It doesn't matter what it looks like if it is leaking and unstable! Get a structural engineer tomorrow. It sounds like it should be condemned pending repairs or demolition. I doubt you can insure it under normal house insurance or that the bank would cover the mortgage if they found out this information. The house may only be fifty years old but was clearly not built well and or on unstable ground.

5. UdOman

UdOman New Member

Man! that is scary stuff- I am sure you know your stuff- So if there is a leak in the house somewhere (possibly) -no other issues- i wont get mortgage or insurance!

I am not sure if I had mentioned unstable anywhere-cause it is not! but I am sure you are genuinely concerned and have advised for my welfare

6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Lol calm your farm mate. You havent even seen the bloody thing. How many houses have you stumped yourself?

Your ability to hold strong opinions with little evidence is impressive.

UdOman likes this.
  7. hobartchic

No. Your house sounds structurally unstable and it sounds like a major leak somewhere in your house that likely makes it uninhabitable. I can only go on the information you have provided. You could ring your council and ask a building inspector to do a report but you do risk having it classed as uninhabitable. I would start with paid advice from a structural engineer. The fence, render and flooring are not worth looking after until the leaking and structure I.e. Stumps are fixed. It may be better to demolish / sell. You need paid advice ASAP.

8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Chill out and post some pics of your concerns. Don't freak. Stumping is pretty easy.

UdOman likes this.
  9. hobartchic

I did recommend paid advice with good reason. It's based on the information provided. Also on information received from a qualified builder and understanding of the current BCA legislation.

10. hobartchic

Your exact word were that "the house is falling". I interpret that as unstable.

11. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Likely meaning one or two stumps have sunk slightly.

There is a need for pictures to explain the situation.

UdOman likes this.
  12. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Ur house sounds like my first PPOR- lots of fun ahead- my 2.2 c worth below. Per other comments some pics of the house/ issues would be helpful:

2. Stumps- this should be the first structural spend prior to render (house will v likely be out of level). Given your killer mortgage/ on a tight budget if your intention is to live in it is there any need to do this now? ie do you want to commence a reno asap as one option is to wait until cash flow improves. 50 year old wooden stumps will need replacing at some point

4. water leak -I'd ask the guy who mentioned the water leak as to where it is?

4 Renderer? pics please

5. spotted gum timber floors? if your handy installing floorboards is fairly straight forward and spotted gum lasts forever- sanding is something I've avoided as it's filthy work and you'll need some practice as first few trys always lead to dents in floor etc

Good luck

UdOman likes this.
  13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Usually when you need rest umping doors don't close and there is cracking in walls and warped flooring. It doesn't sound like it needs it

UdOman likes this.
  14. UdOman

UdOman New Member

thank you everyone for your valuable feedback..and hobartchic----it is my bad..i just realised what I had written 'I currently have wood stumps--1 person said 8 k for house stumps and house is falling- ' what I meant to write was that different ppl are saying different things.. 1 person said he will charge 8 k for house stumps and when I asked why? he said because he cant say when the house will fall! sorry so it was my bad...for all the Big confusion. floors do not move...other than in one corner..thats what prompted me to check with stumpers..there are no weird noises coming from house...no cracks inside the house...no cracks on front and back...one crack on the side..wall..i guess it is not too uncommon for land to move a little bit in 50 years! but anyways I will check it out! ..one guy said there seems to be water leak..other guy said it is not uncommon for soil to be little wet under the house....and land slopes towards the front of house anyways towards the front....in any event thanks

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice