Home Office- Facelift

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Pumpkin, 16th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Jolly good idea but Dang cant really do it...
    The Garage and the office/Workshop is separated by solid brick wall. (Why they need a think brick wall between two garages is beyond me!)

And behind the garage is a bedroom, whereas behind/next too the office is a bedroom...

Note that we dont do a lot of printing so only need small filing place. I am hoping to have a 2-seater Lounge.

Attached Amended Layout.

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do you see clients there (two visitor chairs comment makes me wonder)?

If so, how do they come in (which door)?

Pumpkin likes this.
  3. Pumpkin

Yes, very rarely hence only 2 chairs.

They come thru the door next to stairwell.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you spend a lot of time there (without clients), could you put most of the money into opening the wall to the courtyard with large glass doors? Move the desk to wherever it works best.

What are the walls and ceiling now? Plasterboard?

Fresh paint and glass doors to a courtyard would be my idea (assuming the courtyard is something nice to look at).

Angel likes this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I can't imagine what "coming in through the door to the stairwell" looks like. Is there a hallway next to the office? Is it a living room? Where are the stairs and where is the floor.

I suspect that brick wall through the middle of the garage is also an add-on after the house was built, so it could probably be easy to move the doorway out of your office and into the storage area. Would you consider parking on the driveway in front of the garage and using the current garage as the workshop/storage space. The office-partitioning wall could come further forward to make a hallway in to the garage with only one door into your office from this walkway.

*My idea of budget will differ from other people's, as moving doors or windows or walls isn't much of an issue for us. I am supposed to be completing a unit of study, so I wont draw my picture just now.

Attached Files:

wylie likes this.
  6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Do you have many meetings with clients , contractors , tenants etc everyday ?
    Also do you run events that need catering as a mini kitchen area and toilet/washrooms will be a necessity.
    And if so how many persons as meeting room could be very handy .
    Like change the car/ garage to a meeting room...move the car outside.
    Is there a harbour or sea view so a large floor to ceiling windows can be installed.
    Do you have staff or will have staff ?

7. qak

qak Well-Known Member

A lounge in an office? I think a table and chairs would more practical for visitors, assuming they are there for work purposes.

8. Meg Cridland

Meg Cridland Member

It looks nice.
    I want to have a a home office,too.

I am new on this website, I don't know how to post my question.
    Could you please tell me if I need council approve for convert garage into home office in NSW?

Thank you

9. Pumpkin

This is an Apartment, ground level.

Many thanks for sharing your ideas, and most of all, for the sketch. Really appreciate that.
    Unfortunately, we cant do structural change. All the walls are super-thick brick wall. The only plasterboard wall is between office and workshop.
    Since the Workshop is there, car needs to park in garage to load/unload stuff.

This office/workshop is mainly for me and the handyman, and I pretty much run it paperless.
    Yes expect lots of meetings in the coming months hence the 2-seater Lounge. Not events, just discussions.
    Only provide tea & coffee, no cooking.

There's a powderroom after the stairwell/alley.
    No view whatsoever..... Maybe can put in some fake ocean wallpaper LOL

I expect lots of discussions and meetings in the coming months. So 2 chairs wont be enough...