Home Office- Facelift

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Pumpkin, 16th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I have always want to remodel our Home Office because it's a bit depressing. Its part of double garage, partitioned by previous Owners.
    I know the best is to post pictures but I'm just a bit ashamed so will try to describe to the best I can.

The worst part is all 4 walls has a door:
    - to the Courtyard then kitchen
    - to the Stairwell and Hallway
    - to the other garage
    - to hubby's workshop/tools area.

I am contemplating to get someone to give me ideas but wont want to spend too much money. Also not sure what type of profession I should be looking at. Conventional Designer will find this job too small. If our PCers have recommendation hope you can share.
    We're in Brisbane.
    Thanks you!

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

First and most important what do you want to achieve? how do you want the office to be?

Do you want the walls and ceiling lined with plasterboard? Or are they already lined?

Do you want to block off one or more of the doors with a plasterboard wall that could be removed if you sell in future?

if it’s just a stud and plaster wall, then a competent handyperson could easily do it. Otherwise, get a carpenter for the frame and a plasterer for the walls.

Pumpkin likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

How about you share a floorplan?

Pumpkin likes this.
  4. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I finally got round to organising my office recently and put the desk in the middle of the room. So many tricks and gadgets for hiding cables around. Might help if you have limited wall space.

Pumpkin likes this.
  5. Pumpkin

Thanks for responding. I am looking for ideas first, to answer those questions that you asked.
    I have some ideas but need to bounce off with someone.

Haha, that would be the ultimate if I can sketch it properly. Will try in the next hour or so with crayon and color pencil :rolleyes:... Haha, got it! Pls bear with my drawing...

Oh can you please share how you are able to have table in the middle? With PC and Printer....
    My office space is only about 2/3 of a garage....

Attached Files:

Last edited: 16th Sep, 2020
  6. Heinz57

E06F91BB-22F4-4103-8AA7-E43B71C528B6.jpeg 4653713D-11B1-447D-903F-705BA5A64A91.jpeg 4653713D-11B1-447D-903F-705BA5A64A91.jpeg

Pumpkin likes this.
  7. qak

qak Well-Known Member

By which door do the visitors access?
    Assuming they don't come in via that side of the garage I would get rid of the door to the workshop.
    And what is your budget for this?

8. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Looking at the pictures it looks fine to me, but maybe could do with more colour & some plants?

9. Heinz57

Power and data points hidden behind IKEA shelves which have no backing.Printer is wireless. Cables run between desk and filing cabinet and along floor ( hide under rug ) into shelving with false front (Basket) to hide adaptors and cords.

10. Heinz57

They are my pictures! Work in progress

Pumpkin likes this.
  11. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Oops LOL. Yes I was thinking the cables could be a trip hazard, and was wondering why there wasn't a door on that wall. But otherwise I was thinking that was so much better than what I have.

Pumpkin likes this.
  12. Heinz57

Yes a rug is going over the cables. Alternative is to attach to the underside of the desk

Pumpkin likes this.
  13. Pumpkin

Visitor comes thru Stairwell so that one has to stay.
    Door to Workshop has to stay I think, otherwise we will have to keep opening the big manual heavy roller door.
    So looks like the only door that can be shut is the one to the Garage.

Budget I dont have, of course as minimum is possible because we really cant do much structural change. Realistically no more than $2k not including furniture? I really dont know....

Thanks everyone for responding to Heinz's beautiful Home-Office.
    Now please come back to mine :p:p:p

Heinz57 likes this.
  14. Heinz57

Sorry to derail your thread:p

Do you need to permanently close off doors? Can always place storage in front as a temp fix? That gives you options later on.I would assume that looking over the courtyard is the best option. If you need to maximise space look at fitted bench storage (Ikea) under the window rather than a desk.

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The desk and floor clash. Different desk ? A desk that matches a new cabinet ?
    Paint the Ikea shelving (disassemble, roll, reassemble) and cabinet to match
    Lighting ? A floor lamp ?
    Blinds
    Declutter top shelf.
    Walls seem very bare and beige. If the facing wall is big...go big with framed print or poster etc Check Ikea ?
    Indoor plant (not a excavator)
    Have a look at Bunnings, Jaycar etc for D-Line cable organisers in different dia etc (Self adhesive half moon ducting)

A partitioned wall is cheap and easy if you need to.
    Steel framing and screw gyprock. Fill and tape joints (gradually not excessive) and remove excess when semi dry. (easy and cleaner than sanding) , sand, refinish, sand and make more mess. Paint. Could even just be finished one side.(inside). This will avoid council having issues with a permanent change...Its just temporary !! If the top edge is neat you could ignore cornices.

I worked from home for three years and made half our garage into a office. Buyers liked it and asked it stay but they could easily remove it too.

Last edited: 16th Sep, 2020
  16. Pumpkin

Thanks but they are not mine... :confused: It's Heinz

17. Heinz57

You really need to post those pictures :(

18. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

I agree with Heinz’ suggestion - eg. could place a 2 door cupboard in front of door to garage, or a tallish plant.

If courtyard has a nice aspect, and office is dark, could replace courtyard door with a glass door for extra light.

I think Heinz’ office (pictured) looks good because it has a lot of natural light.

Pumpkin likes this.
  19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You need to artistically distribute your cabling.....

IMG_2284.jpg

The Y-man

Pumpkin likes this.
  20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Move the door to the Garage into the Workshop, so go go into the garage you need to go through workshop. Move the door to the Courtyard to the back of the Garage. This will give you more flexibility.