Home loan assistance

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by NotoriousAnswer, 4th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. NotoriousAnswer

NotoriousAnswer New Member

Hi All.

I'm in the market for an apartment. I'm currently looking at a few between the price ranges of $350k to $425k.

I'll most likely have a decent amount of deposit given as a cash gift between $30k to $40k.

So I'm looking at my borrowing options to see what I can do. Ideally I would purchase a property in-between the timeframe of 1 to 3 months.

Thanks

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Welcome to the forum

Nice gift

How much actual cash savings or share holdings to date pls ?

ta
    rolf

3. NotoriousAnswer

The pricing of the apartment maybe alot less now as I have looking at a boarden my suburbs.

Just a couple grand as I help my parents pay rent at the moment. I'm also thinking about selling one of my cars to make up money as well.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I suspect it wont be easy to get finance for a loan amount > 90 % since most lenders do want genuine savings of 5 % of the purchase price, or in some cases will allow market rental history via an agent to be used

ta
    rolf

5. NotoriousAnswer

I figured it may be a mission to get a loan which is why I've dropped the prices of the apartments to around the 300 to 315 mark.

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Basic rule of thumb for a first home buyer at this price point is to divide the funds you've got available by 12% (covers a 10% deposit & costs). Round it down to the nearest $10k and you'll be close to your max purchase price.

7. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

You could go up to 95% Inc LMI, but genuine savings will be a hurdle for you. Assuming for owner occupied purposes.

8. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

If you earn a good income compared the loan amount your require, there may be a few options for you at 95% without genuine savings but you'll have to pay a higher interest rate. I guess it's whether it's more important to get in now and work on moving back into the standard lender space in a few years, or if you want the cheapest rate and wait til you have more than 10% deposit plus fees.