Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Home gym setup

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tess_, 8th Jul, 2015.

1. tess_

tess_ Active Member

Just wondering who has a home gym and how is it set up?

My oly barbell & weights are rusting even though they are kept under the pergola, I'm guessing some rain occasionally sprays onto them.

I want to convert an unused lounge (6m x 4m) into a home gym, it's tiled though.

I'd be mainly doing stuff like starting strength / stronglifts 5x5 so the main priority for me is safety when doing squats and chest presses. On top of that I want something that is easy to put away when we have parties and need the lounge back. Am I asking too much??

Something like this http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/st...stable-barbell-squat-stands-with-dip-handles/ but with more protection for doing bench presses.

2. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

I used to have squat rack (not just stands, this is safer for squatting / benching on your own), barbell, 180kg worth of plates, bench, yadda yadda. The cost of the setup is similar to a year or 2 of gym membership.

Now, everyone's personality is different. For me, a home setup wasn't conducive to good workouts as it was too easy to procrastinate and say you'd go out there later on or just do xyz quickly first etc. Joining a gym that had other members with the same goals as me (making / setting state/national records) was a lot more beneficial. Analog to joining an investment forum rather than talking crap with non-investors.

Bran likes this.
  3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I use one of the bedrooms for gym stuff.

I squeezed in a treadmill, elliptical, bench press, free weights and a tiny area for stretching.

I love working out from home. I usually watch something on the iPad at the same time. I prefer home rather than driving to a gym BUT if I was using a gym I'm sure I'd push myself harder.

4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Mine is;
    1. a lever on the side of the exercise chair for extending footrest - required for correct positioning of spine angle during exercise program,
    2. sealed pathway from exercise seat to weight cabinet (cooled).
    3. assorted weights in various shapes and container types (mostly glass and occasionally aluminium)
    4. specially designed holder (usually glass, but often polycarbonate material if exercising near spa/pool) to grip weight while exercising - usually right arm first for a while, then left arm after right arm gets tired.

Johnny Cashflow, tess_ and JamesGG like this.
  5. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

That may work, but for safety you either need a squat rack. Or, a platform and bumper weights to allow you to drop the weights if you get pinned. I will upload a photo of my garage set up for you if you like.

Also, if strength is your aim, all you will need is a squat rack and a home made lifting platform and that's it. However I'm not sure how this would go on tiles.

Beelzebub

6. Beelzebub

With this set up my car still fits. However, my car also leaked oil all over the oly platform, so there is safety to consider there.

If you can, put it in your garage; because I'm not sure your tiles will take the force of the impact. That rack you see and a bench is all you will ever need for strength training and it's heaps safer.

My next tip would be to buy second hand on eBay: It will store its value much better.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

7. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nice rack there BB.
    Dog look jacked too :)
    Looks like he's ready to chew on some barbell - Westside style...

Beelzebub likes this.
  8. Beelzebub

Thanks Ace. It's Muscle Motion... I noticed your avatar.

Yeh, dogs buff. She doesn't even lift.

9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

A garage gym like this one would be great

Check ou the complete fit out from go to who on the Link

[​IMG]

10. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

11. Ace in the Hole

Some heavy duty stuff there for a home gym, heavy dumbbells.
    I think he could have chosen some more versatile equipment for the space though.
    Must love calves to dedicate that space for the calf raise.

At least the guy could have assembled the equipment properly considering he went through a lot of work to set the gym up properly.
    The Body Solid functional trainer in the corner of the room has the front and back legs the wrong way around...causing a trip hazard.

12. Beelzebub

I don't think you need half of that stuff... Maybe he's into body building.

13. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Squat stands are a good low-space option IF you are comfortable without the safety of a lifting cage. That means you're happy to drop the bar off your back/front if you fail in a squat, which shouldn't happen very often. For that, you will want good bumper plates, and some decent floor - ceramic tiles are NOT ideal. However, you could also get some high density rubber for your floor. There are many options for that and it comes down to how large a mass you're dropping and from what height as to the thickness of the rubber tile.

Olympic lifting platforms generally use ~40mm thick tiles. You can possible get away with something thinner depending on what you plan to drop.

If you plan to deadlift, then definitely get some rubber under you.

14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Definitely, I thought the same with the lime green...a bit too bold for me

The floor looked pretty good also (epoxy with paint chips), then plyboard and rubber

Mine's pretty basic, one corner in the garage, rubber matting, Olympic bar and 180kg of bumper plates, some dumbells, Kettlebells and assorted gear. Dropping the barbell on the rubber even when doing deadlifts still sends a shudder through the house though so would hate to drop it from overhead

15. Beelzebub

Put down a layer of 12ml ply and then go to any gym shop, or even bunnings and get 15ml square rubber tiles. This will definitely work for concrete and is what most people do, but I wouldn't be giving any guarantees for ceramic tiles.

I do Oly lifting. I've got the 15ml rubber which absorbs the impact and acoustics a bit. Still makes a loud bang though and wifey has banned playing after a certain time

16. tess_

tess_ Active Member

Thanks so much for the input. I have bumpers but just struggling to think what to do with the floor...

Gah my spouse has taken up almost all the backyard with a massive shed stuffed with stupid things like lawnmower and hedge trimmers. I don't have anywhere to create my she-d (http://news.domain.com.au/domain/re...te-the-ultimate-she-shed-20150706-gi60nh.html)...

We have no garage, thinking of building one, but you can't build a garage structure on a sewer line can you?

17. Aaronjod

Aaronjod Well-Known Member

gym.JPG

Got it setup in one 1/2 of the double garage. Real tight on space but got it all there to have a decent session w/ the missus. Only train here when it's convenient and lack of time, find it more fun seeing all our friends at the local. Could you possibly clear your shed and put the lawnmower elsewhere, maybe under the house?

18. Ace in the Hole

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Moisture and humidity are doing the damage even if under cover.

Floor protection is a must - get some formply then rubber (old conveyor belt is fine).