Home Builder grant for subdivision

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by The Nervous Investor, 5th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Nervous Investor

The Nervous Investor Member

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the forum & property investment for that matter but I'm watcher on many threads since March when I stumbled across some of the ASX threads.

I have a question in relation to the recently announce $25K Home Builder grant which I initially wanted to post in Property Market Economics thread but unable to do so as a newb.

I currently have a PPOR & the idea is to subdivide the 535m2 block, then build a new home in the empty rear block as my new place of residence & apply for the Home Builder grant to assist with the build.

I've read through the fact sheets, FAQs & done thorough searches but can't seem to find any answers as to whether subdivisions meet the eligibility criteria.

2. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Hey there,

I don't think a Sub division is classified as a renovation or a build. But if you're using it specifically to build the house then I would say you're eligible for it.

punti and The Nervous Investor like this.
  3. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

If your block is not already subdivided however, you may struggle to meet the timelines for the scheme. You must have a build contract by 31 Dec and start building within 3 months.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

535m2, is that large enought to sub-divide?

The Nervous Investor likes this.
  5. Charch

Charch Well-Known Member

Im contemplating doing a Dual Occ. Do you think this will qualify. We will live in one side.

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Your current intention may be for your elderly parent/s to live in the other side, or your son, daughter, & their respective partner/s. Your intentions may change due to unforeseen circumstances once the property is built. It might be wise to diarise your intentions, so you have a record should anyone ask at some future date.

AlbertWT likes this.
  7. The Nervous Investor

A few of our neighbours have recently built duplexes. I've been keeping an eye on the council's planning register and looks like all the plans to subdivide to 3 are getting knocked back, but they're approving 2.

skater likes this.
  8. The Nervous Investor

This is my main concern, especially the wait for council approval. The plan is to ultimately subdivide anyhow so I might get the drawings & submit to council then see how we go.