Holiday rental vs permanent

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Brendon, 20th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anyone has opted to rent their IP out as a holiday rental instead of as a permanent.

Obviously the IP would have to be at a holiday destination to make it even worth contemplating but what are the other pros/ cons?

The main con I could see is inconsistent rent which could affect future serviceability, would also think that it's higher risk but possibly higher reward too?

2. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Higher workload.. managing more tenants... but also cleaning the place between visitors

3. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Hi Brendon,

I am in real estate in a tourist location. From my experience there are pros and cons to both, however, in 95% of cases permanent rental is by far the better option. Main reasons being:
    - Less wear and tear on the property.
    - Better screening of tenants/occupants.
    - Better returns (in all but a very few cases),
    - Less on going costs (in general).

Generally holiday rental is only effective if you plan to use the property on a semi regular basis (outside of peak times) and this is part of the attraction of the property purchase in the first instance.

Hope this helps,
    Mick.

legallyblonde likes this.
  4. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    I have a few clients who use Airbnb to rent out holiday homes and they actually make more than renting it out on a full-time basis. They use a local cleaner, but do spend a bit of their own time messing around with guests.

Servicing won't be too much of an issue as lenders will accept the rental estimate from a valuation.

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Just remember you will have to have it fully furnished for holiday rentals.

I have an IP that I alternate between permanent and holiday. 290/week permanent or 1100/week holiday season. It can work out well if you can lock in certain tenants, example I had a teacher on placement in for the term then she moved out for holidays:D

Many more expenses with the holiday, but a higher return too.