Entertainment & Music Holiday in Singapore

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by thegreat, 1st May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

Just units I'm assuming? Not existing house and land.

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Um, not sure as the people I talked to are first home buyers who mostly buying units. From what I remember (got no written facts with me) the Stamp duty for foreigner is about 10% or so. The people I know there are PR (not citizen) - they don't get much benefits compared to citizen. Stamp duty for second property is a lot higher than the first. My impression of Singapore system - it gives chance for people to have roof over their head and the necessities. Anything above necessities (e.g. investment) it gets expensive real quick.

Edit:
    @Jerry O Tadaa Roundtrip buying costs in Singapore can reach 37.45%
    Foreign resident additional tax duty is 16%
    Restriction on Foreign Ownership of Landed Property

Last edited: 2nd May, 2016
    Jerry O likes this.
  3. thegreat

thegreat Well-Known Member

What about currency?
    Any money exchange in Changi Airport?
    Bringing oz currency without sg currency will be too brave?

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Change in Singapore airport, do not do it in hotels. Currentvrate should be about $1 for $1.

Do no change at Oz airport either, rate is usually quite bad. Singapore airport accept other currence for shopping, but for hawker you need local money ay

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Are you taking kids? If you are or aren't then there are a few pieces of advice.

The light show is fantastic for both - Marina Gardens etc but you don't need to stay there.

I was in Singapore 2 weeks ago and I had kids with me but we first stayed at Hilton on Orchard Rd and did a lot of wandering around there. Then we went to Legoland in Malaysia which is a must if you have kids then we returned to Singapore and stayed at Conrad near the Singapore Flyer.

Now both those hotels are quite $$ but we got a really good deal. We got 40% off due to a deal they were having at the Hilton so spent a little extra and got the Executive level room - the best thing about Executive level is the included breakfast at the Executive Lounge or the downstairs restaurant (more selection), then afternoon tea from 3-5pm then canapes and cocktails (champagne and spirits too) from 5.30-7.30. I'm pretty darn sure everyone who ate canapes didn't need to get dinner :p So if you like to have a drink in the evenings which can add up it's a smart upgrade.

Stoffo likes this.
  6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

@sanj might know something about property investment in Singapore... The Singapore property market is highly regulated. A friend of mine who is an agent there told me the money is in the commercial properties, not residential. There are a lot of restrictions there and market speculation is discouraged.

Jerry O likes this.
  7. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Wombat, those photos are stunning

wombat777 likes this.
  8. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

You can withdraw cash at most places, and nearly everywhere has ATM/Eftpos. Just learn what your bank fees are for international transactions.
    I use citibank which gives free withdrawls and eftpos internationally.
    CBA charges something like $5 per transaction plus 2.5% (eg 7.5% if you take $100). Plus their exchange rate is usually an additional 3c worse than Citi.

Blacky

9. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I just spoke to my friend (google) who told me it re-opened 26th April.

Lets home.

I will also try Chomp Chomp.

Blacky

EN710 likes this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

What would happen if a bogan with B.O., very long hair, muttering anti government slogans and blowing chewing gum bubbles tries to get through customs in Singapore? lol.

11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Nothing happen unless you dump that chewing gum in the wrong place? Or maybe caught in possession of X rated material

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I thought chewing gum was banned there because one of their leaders stepped on it. Also their conservative views wouldn't appreciate outspoken bogans. Things must have changed.

13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Haha I wouldn't know, I'm just guessing. I reckon they wouldn't care much until you break the rules there, most people are too busy to pay attention or care - that's my take anyway

datto likes this.
  14. larrylarry

I'm sure you will find out soon enough.

15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Nah, too many rules in the country. You get a fine if you drive out of the country with less than three quarter full tank of fuel lol.

16. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Anyone who got a car in Singapore can paid up north 100k for a permit to drive it, so I think they might have enough to buy a full tank of petrol :cool: the few place where an Audi and a cheapy Toyota would ended up about the same price

17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Expensive! They must have good public transport because most people couldn't afford a car.

18. Jerry O

I've been told they do have a very good transpo system. You won't be need a car. They also convert expensive cars to taxis.

19. Jerry O

I was just curious due to all the money they have spent on making it a famous tourist destination. Similar to Dubai and all their high rise buildings. To which even their residents can't own it, just lease it for so many years.

20. larrylarry

Most properties are leasehold except for some detached housing and private condominiums. The government wants to adapt changes and improve standard of living...but some are falling through the cracks. Whenever I'm there, it's only few days visit. Malaysia still has the 80s charm and Singapore is very modern.