NSW Holiday House <2 hrs from Syd

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jmillar, 2nd Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

My parents are looking for a holiday house at the moment. They are able to spend up to $1mil but prefer to spend closer to $500k.

They love Forster but they want it to be under 2hrs max from Sydney (Liverpool area).

Ideally it would be walking distance to cafes, restaurants and beach but not somewhere super busy. They also would like water views.

What areas should they consider?

Also they are interested to know how they could get some income out of it when they're not there. I've heard there are companies that manage Airbnb for you for around a 20% cut. I'm guessing they would handle cleaning, maintenance etc too and you could just tell them what dates you want to use it?

Thanks

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Ummm the NSW Central Coast. :)

Jacque likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Plenty of places to the south too - Southern Highlands, Kiama and further south as they have done the hard work to escape the city crush to the south and have an hour's head start on anyone in the city. Why fight with the traffic heading north?

qak, Schnorky and Thai1972 like this.
  4. Jmillar

They prefer North over South but wouldn't rule it out completely...

5. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Toowoon Bay / Long Jetty on the central coast. A great spot undergoing textbook 101 gentrification. But ssshh....don’t tell anyone.

ellejay and Jacque like this.
  6. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

We stayed at Caves Beach a few months back. Loved the area.

Schnorky likes this.
  7. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Blacksmiths beach/Belmont?
    Toukley/Budgewoi?
    Could easily find something 500k

From there on south with the price going up

Schnorky likes this.
  8. fl360

fl360 Well-Known Member

If your folks are thinking of claiming tax deduction on the holiday house, please read the ATO pages on holiday house for self use. talk to their accountant.

if your folks are not claiming anything from the ATO then it is OK.

9. Jmillar

Just had a quick look online. Areas around The Entrance/Long Jetty/Toowoon Bay seem nice but I was surprised how little you get for $1m. I don't think they'll get what they want in these areas for their budget.

Caves Beach seems a bit closer to what they want, but doesn't seem to be many shops/cafes etc within walking distance.

Shoal Bay/Anna Bay/Nelson Bay seem to have places around $1m that tick most of the boxes. It's about 2.5hrs away but I think that's still manageable, and I'm guessing Northconnex will cut that time down a bit too. It would probably be a bit quieter in these areas than the Entrance too, which they would like.

TAJ likes this.
  10. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

May I ask, what is the necessity to be within 2 hours from Sydney? If it is going to be a holiday home I am assuming that their stays will be considerably longer than the odd weekend, so why then is distance a hindrance?
    Generally speaking, those areas closer to Sydney (coastal) will command higher prices due to their proximity to the big smoke. There are pockets north of Newcastle and south of Port Macquarie which would fit the bill.
    Remembering now, that Port is just like another Sydney suburb with new homes going up at an alarming rate. Probably not ideal if they are wanting to escape the hustle and bustle.

ellejay likes this.
  11. TTT888

TTT888 Member

Stanwell Park Beach or Narrabeen lagoon its just 50mins drive from Liverpool. Forster is very nice but its too far from Sydney...

Archaon likes this.
  12. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Does it have to be a house or would they consider apartments? (much more likely to get a better water view)

Schnorky likes this.
  13. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I'm with Jacque. If I was going to buy a holiday place I would buy an apartment. I have seen too many people buy holiday houses and spend most of the time there are there doing maintenance. I would be like that - can't help myself.
    Presumably as they get older they might be able to have longer weekends. You mentioned they like Forster. So do I. It's doable for a long weekend, but for not for a short one. I like Nelson Bay, too.

qak likes this.
  14. lilolizard

lilolizard Member

Shoal Bay is 3Hrs from LIverpool according to google maps

15. Jmillar

They grew up on land and currently live on a small farm. They wouldn't consider a unit unfortunately, only houses. They would need to take their dog with them (large dog) so need a backyard.

16. Jmillar

Well they were going to try buy in Forster but the distance meant they wouldn't use it much (and their friends + family would be less willing to visit regularly) whereas if they had something <2 hours away they would use it more often.

They are around 70 years old so also don't want to drive long distances. They would use it pretty regularly if it's close enough I think, but probably only for 2-3 days at a time as they would need to go home to check on their animals etc.

What pockets would you recommend that are walking distance to beach/shops etc?

TAJ likes this.
  17. Jmillar

Yep, I think if they had to drive 3.5hrs to Forster they wouldn't use it as often.

They won't even consider an apartment unfortunately.

18. Jmillar

2hrs45mins from their house.

Anna Bay is 2hrs32mins from their house. A bit further than ideal but not too bad. And I think Northconnex will cut this down a bit too.

TAJ likes this.
  19. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Currarong :)

ta'rolf

20. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Harrington. But obviously more than a 2 hour drive.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.