Hold or sell the dog?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by skuzy, 5th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skuzy

skuzy Well-Known Member

thanks for all the quality input + fun analogies :D
    speaking to a RE now to see what are some options ..

2. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Do your research and and only purchase beautiful golden retrievers.

Nemo30 likes this.
  3. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

Hi Skuzy,

I think the advice so far has been spot on.

1) Assess why did you buy the property in the first instance (is it performing or is it likely to perform accordingly in the short-mid term)
    2) Does it help or hinder further purchases? I would look at this by having your broker do a borrowing capacity assessment based on the scenario of having the property and not having the property in your portfolio and also weighing up equity available if held and if sold. (taking all selling costs and CGT etc into consideration)
    3) If it doesn't change anything or stop you from making other purchases do you have to do anything at all with it right now?
    4) Map out every possible scenario and look at the numbers as well as pro's and con's for each. Usually once all the options are in front of you in black and white it becomes easier to make decisions based on the numbers and facts. (I am a visual person so I usually map it out one strategy per piece of paper so I can visually see it all. Most would do the sophisticated method of using a spreadsheet which is also effective:).....What ever works for you personally !

If you feel comfortable sharing more detail about the location, numbers, specifics of the property as well as your goals I am sure there could be some more great perspectives shared by the PC members.

Good luck with you decision. I hope its an easy one for you.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

So... it's CF+, and has had a boom with a capital gain that makes your 'low' yield beyond what is palatable??

Wow. What a dog.

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. skuzy

skuzy Well-Known Member

so just to be clear, the yield wasn't the best to begin with pre-recent sydny boom... and whilst it has experienced CG recently.. virtually so did everywhere else in sydney and in that suburb as well...... it is the first ip i bought and so it was a learning curve... the point of this thread was to get ideas or strategies on what other investors here would do if they were in a similar situation (assuming there are investors who actually make mistakes)
    love to hear your thoughts on this.

Perthguy likes this.