VIC Hold or sell in Burwood VIC?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by thejourneybegins, 18th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

can tell you it happens everywhere nowadays - even in albert park there are issue like this.

2. thejourneybegins

thejourneybegins Member

i would tend to agree with you but 12 months in burwood and nothing happens, especially on this street...

3. melbournian

My street 5 years nothing happened till influx of Gang violence recently

4. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

which suburb is this?
    To be honest I would recommend everyone to buy into better suburbs/area as sooner or later neighbours will band together and have private security patrols in the street overnight. The middle class as we know it will shrink due to AI, tech, automation etc. The wealth gap being bigger will lead to more crime

5. melbournian

suburbs - albert park + south Melbourne

I think that's a bit over. Doncaster East had a whole bunch of breaks in couple of months ago on a same street. no different to other suburbs in the west or north

it is a bunch of certain ethnic groups going around causing these issues. IN fact the new land estates are more inclined to have this compared to other suburbs as they can be formed within the estate. with neighbours banding together - collection of payment for services ( it sort of seems like a owners corp approach which will no doubt cause issues - some may want cameras certain places, ppl at certain times etc)

6. Medine

Medine Well-Known Member

Hi Thejourneybegins,

This is a big decision that could impact your financial position significantly.
    It would be really good to get your financial planner to look over your whole situation and give you their thoughts.
    For my 2 cents worth I'd be mostly concerned about investment horizon.
    If you're planning to hold for 12 months as above maybe not much will happen in the market over that time, but over 10 years it's likely to increase (as it has for the last 118 or so years).

7. Seby643

Seby643 Well-Known Member

Definately hold in burwood. Being close to places like chadstone, deakin uni and the city is a big bonus

8. melbournian

yeah def hold in Burwood if you hold a house and not a townhouse.

9. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

In my opinion, no point selling at this point.
    Cost to sell out and buy another one will wipe out easy 100k.
    I personally rentvest with decent size portfolio and love that lifestyle and numbers make perfect sense.
    Rent yield around NorthCote won't be more than 2% net, which means renting works out better and property prices in those areas are already close to peak. If you can somehow manage to buy one without selling, that's best move but now is not the best time to buy in Melb ...
    Another strategy will be to buy another investment property somewhere else for bit cheaper with much higher rent yield (QLD/Adelaide) with strong capital growth potential and rent where you prefer to live.. Win Win!.
    Hope it helps :)

10. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

personally I find yield especially in shares a trap (surely they could re-invest and make more money than giving it back to share holders). I am sick of tax advisers telling me to buy off the plan in regional areas. Buy in an area/type of housing you want to live in or an area which would most closely mimic the location/type of property you want as PPOR. Pure investment is different as you can buy a place that you will never live in but potentially enjoy the growth.

11. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Time to change tax adviser i guess. Sounds like some kind of kick back they getting .. @kaibo

12. thejourneybegins

thejourneybegins Member

Thanks for the further input, didn't realise i had more responses in the thread - i haven't been alerted so thought there were no new responses.

Appreciate its a big decision to make and 1 half of it has already been made - the property has been listed for sale. Just to be clear its a townhouse and not a house and i think there is less upside in townhouses given the supply of new builds of townhouses coming up in the area. If your curious, listing is here -> 2/13 Edwards Street Burwood Vic 3125 - Townhouse for Sale #127491314 - realestate.com.au

As for next movements, most likely rentvest and will firm on a decision closer to when I need to but understand from what I've read so far that it is more of a lifestyle decision and will be viewed as a long term approach. Surplus funds can be invested in a variety of manners.

13. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Just curious, If you think it's worth 1.2-1.3m, why is the advertisement quoted at 1.1-1.2m?

14. thejourneybegins

thejourneybegins Member

At the time I was confident that was the case but after speaking with a variety of RE agents, had to somewhat reassess expectations.

15. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Best of luck with the sale - looks like a great home for someone

16. thejourneybegins

thejourneybegins Member

17. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

You've made the right choice and hope you get the price you are looking for. A lot of other better investment out there and that intersection (toorak rd/warrigal rd)is one of my most hated ones around (Camberwell Junction is the worst)

18. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

If time was not an issue I think putting that wall in for 4th bedroom would have added value. Did you ever get it quoted up?

19. thejourneybegins

thejourneybegins Member

thanks Kaibo - keeping my fingers crossed.

i think that intersection isn't that bad compared to alot of other intersections around melb (say north where I was originally from). Slightly busy at peak times but not something where you sit there and get agitated waiting as no movement takes place.

got quoted up for the wall but the agent recommended to leave it as is (and they will talk about it as an option) so that the property has wider appeal if an extra rumpus was preferred over the extra bedroom. If the buyer wanted an extra room done before they move in then the works could be done fairly easily as well. just thought it made more sense to provide buyers the option.

kaibo likes this.
  20. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

how's the campaign going? Can't come to auction on sat as daughter has swimming but may swing by thursday arvo open. Best of luck with the auction and nice video

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.