Hobby farm hut as potential guest accomodation ?

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Foxy Moron, 25th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Hi AirBNB gurus
    I’m looking at putting a weekender / cabin on my 20 acre block. Not looking to overcapitalise as its less than 10 minutes drive from my very comfortable home. Its primary purpose will be private-use ‘glamping’ a couple of nights per week or alternatively a caretakers cabin.
    The block itself is quite serene and I will be developing half of it into smaller paddocks and stables to cater for demand from local horsey types plus for my own nags. The other half will remain a bush block with improved pasture. Plenty of gum trees, wallabies, and a grassy creek, but the serenity is the key element here.

After looking at expensive removable homes / factory cabins etc I am liking the affordability factor of an ex-mining camp donga which I can extensively gut and put my own stamp on. Will be about 45m2 interior plus a 25m2 deck and I reckon I can do the whole thing for under 50k all up with water power and septic. Will end up with two air-conditioned, ensuited sleeping rooms plus a kitchenette.

So my question is this……if I tricked up the interior, does this type up thing have any potential as an AirBNB prospect – either a weekend escape for visitors or even short-term weekly rental (20 minutes to Toowoomba) ? Now I don’t want to go over the top tricking it up with nice cabinetry / furniture / finishes if the customers still avoid it cos they see it’s basically still a donga at the end of the day. Ie Would I be wasting my time as an AirBNB prospect unless I get a more cosy / homestead-type building that will have more photographic appeal ? I have nil experience with the tastes of AirBNB customers so appreciate any thoughts on this. FM.

Ensuited Accommodation Building.JPG image8.jpg

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is a secondary dwelling permissible within the zoning?

3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

For a picturesque airbnb you would want a quaint cottage or some modern build not a mine site donga.

Paul@PAS and Foxy Moron like this.
  4. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Hi Scott
    It would be zoned rural. Don't actually know the answer to that but I would have that that was a possibility.