Hobbies

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by trinity168, 31st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aussieshorter

aussieshorter Well-Known Member

Sounds great!

My dream holiday is to one day take six months and travel through Europe, watching football at all the big stadiums.

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I find it fascinating that the early mountaineers attempted them with such basic equipment, like K2 (8,611m) in 1902:
    "The first serious attempt to climb K2 was undertaken in 1902 by Oscar Eckenstein, Aleister Crowley, Jules Jacot-Guillarmod, Heinrich Pfannl, Victor Wessely and Guy Knowles via the Northeast Ridge."
    "considering the difficulty of the challenge, and the lack of modern climbing equipment or weatherproof fabrics".

A lot of the mountains seem to be 1st climbed in the mid 50's, was there some advance in climbing technology?

"An Italian expedition finally succeeded in ascending to the summit of K2 via the Abruzzi Spur on 31 July 1954."

3. radson

radson Well-Known Member

yeah those pesky wars got in the way of HA climbing but on the other hand the wars helped with the oxygen technology. Those guys certainly did it much, much, much tougher. Mallory and his band of merry men for example walked in to Everest Base Camp from the coast rather than driving in now from the Tibet side. The early k2 walk ins were also several hundered kilometeres, so the ol' I'll get fit on the walk in really meant something then. Have you read Herzgog's Annapurna. I loved it and must read it again some day.

The Italian K2 ascent is infamous and very controversial and I believe Bonatti was heavily vilified on that climb before the world gradually accepted his side of the story.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've been to outer-outer-outer-Mongolia, that was the most wacky trekking I've done so far. Pretty amazing places out there.
    I'll get over to the Inca Trail one day.
    Would like to go all the way down to the Southern tip of Chile/Argentina as well.

5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I'm a Professional Coffee Bunch cyclist.

I'm riding in Hawaii up Mauna Kea and Mt. Haleakala in November.

I currently hold an individual cycling World Record and am attempting a triple WR in December.

Then in late January after heading to the Tour Down Under in Adelaide I'm going back to Chile to ride in the Andes.

And to round out the next 8 months, I'm attempting another WR in April.

No rest for the wicked.

pinkboy

Icarus and chylld like this.
  6. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

No surprise... I love my four legged equine friends! It is a hobby I have not had time for in recent years.. But now that Uni is over I can get into it again!

7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I had a friend who was into equines. Donkeys in fact. He loved donkey meat. He was especially fond of donkey burgers.

He had ass burgers syndrome.

Blacky and Icarus like this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

exploring all over the place. doing things we think are stupid and other people must think are even stupider
    see profile pic
    and amateur photographer occasionally

Attached Files:

The Y-man likes this.
  9. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Well i have 3 young kids, but some of my hobbies include, soccer (I'm a big Man Utd fan), brewing beer, going to gym and fitness/health.

10. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Some outstanding hobbys in the list (not to mention achievements!).

My preferred hobby is freediving (basically holding your breath and seeing how far you can go).
    While I dream of being competitive on an international level, its really just that at this point.
    At my peak I was holding my breath for 4:03mins and could dive (unassisted) to 55m. Ive been deeper but that was holding additional weight (which is more of a training technique than real freediving).

As a side to that I do a lot of spearfishing and am quite capable of catching enough seafood to survive off.

As a part of this lifestyle 4wd, boats, camping etc all fall into the mix. So the $40k mentioned is a drop in the ocean. My costs so far would far exceed $100k but I try not to think about it.

When I return to the civilised world I am going to look to get into
    kayaking (aiming to padel through Nepal)
    skydiving
    Paragliding
    and boat racing.

All of which are expensive sports so will most likely have to pick one and run with it.

Blacky

radson likes this.
  11. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you can run with any of those sports.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Just reading that sentence freaks me out!!! :eek:

13. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Friend just posted this to FB, thought it was appropriate :)

[​IMG]