Hobart - joiners and flatpack kitchens

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Chris Au, 1st Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

I'm going into a house reno in Hobart and am looking at flatpack kitchens or upgrading the cupboard doors on the current kitchen (carcass still good, just dated).

While the famous ol' Bunnos kitchens are an option, I'm also interested if there are other flatpack kitchen makers in Hobart, or cabinet makers who are able to make new cupboard doors that I will fit onto the carcass.

Anyone used any cabinet makers in Hobart that they are willing to recommend (or those to stay away from!)

Happy to receive PMs if preferred.

Cheers,

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I would but they cost more than the Bunnings option generally. You could try EziKit Kitchens for a higher end finish. It's not cost effective for most carpenters to make themselves now unless they have time and spare timber.

3. Chris Au

Thanks @hobartchic , am looking at options for the kitchen.

Since the carcass is still good I'm also interested in getting quotes from joiners to make doors for the current cupboards.

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2017
  4. hobartchic

Buy the doors premade and hire a builder/ carpenter. Too costly to get them custom made.

5. Chris Au

Thanks @hobartchic , agree with your comments about custom made vs. off the shelf. For the size, a Bunno's kitchen is about $3,500, and with the carcass still in good condition, replacing the doors is a possibility. Small hiccup is that there is one bare wall that really needs some more wall cupboards, so am looking at options so that the kitchen looks complete (rather than an old kitchen with some new cupboards installed after the fact)

Cheers,

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I just got 2 doors made by a kitchen maker. They cost $50 each, which I thought was excellent. Doors at Bunnings are $68 for the same size but they didn't have the colour I needed.

I would check prices with a local kitchen cabinet maker. They are under Cabinet Maker in Perth. Could be the same in Hobart.

7. Chris Au

Thanks @Perthguy , definitely looking down various options, particularly when it's only a facelift that's (really) needed.

One thing I thought about when looking into the facelift option, is that when you open the doors, you would see the old pine carcass and older shelves etc (giving away that it was just the doors that were replaced). While the shelves are just fine, did you worry about having a 'new look' on an 'old base'? Were there any comments received about this?

(we would paint where possible, but there's only so much that can be done if going down this route).

Cheers,

8. Perthguy

The kitchen that I just replaced 2 doors is already laminex, so it wasn't a problem this time. The first kitchen I did was a paint job. I took off all the doors, gave them a light sand, gave the carcasses a light sand and painted them all one colour, oil based, gloss paint. With the shelves, I lined them with 3mm melamine sheeting from Bunnings.

CustomWood MDF 2440 x 1220 x 3mm White Melamine Sheet

I also bought a new bench. This was all 10 years ago and I thought the kitchen looked good. It looks quite bland now but people who inspected the house liked it.

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

9. Chris Au

Kitchen looks great - may be bland today, but is uncomplicated and neutral colours.

The 3mm melamine from Bunnos might be the same sheets we are using around the bath (rather than tiling)

legallyblonde likes this.
  10. hobartchic

Maybe you could buy good quality cupboards second hand and do the whole thing up with elbow grease and paint?

11. hobartchic

There's always the exception, while since I looked at prices :D I guess it depends on materials and labour. Was told this by a builder though who is professionally qualified and indemnified. Costs too much for him to make his own kitchen from scratch.

12. Chris Au

Agree @hobartchic , am looking into cupboards. Since the carcass is good, am looking for cosmetic options, unless the whole thing is replaced to provide a finished solution.

Cheers,

13. Perthguy

It is worth getting prices for both and deciding from there. I am building now and would not consider a flat pack. The builder can supply and install a custom kitchen for less than a bunnings flat pack.

hobartchic likes this.
  14. Chris Au

Thanks guys. The interweb and calling, visiting will be my friends over the next few months.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You'll need to use aquapanel or similar in a bathroom due to the moisture in the air. BTW, melamine is about 0.1mm thick applied to a substrate or board of any thickness.

16. Chris Au

Thanks @Scott No Mates , I know I have the name wrong and thanks for the link to aquapanel product. The sheeting I saw was in the bathroom section of Bunnos, but will double check the brochure I have for possible uses.

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Mac Fields - You could get away using it as a cheap splash back in the kitchen too if you don't want to tile.

18. Chris Au

Yep, @Scott No Mates, certainly looking into this option, which will be faster too. I was surprised at the cost of splashbacks (ok glass...) compared to tiling.

19. Chris Au

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia