Asia HK property!

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by big max, 12th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. big max

big max Well-Known Member

2. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

Good for me. I've held Link REIT since it was $25 a share.

big max likes this.
  3. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Remember the various surcharges on place which can add another 15% on top of purchase price. also you have someone to manage it for you? the quality of managing agents is pretty poor in general.

4. Starbright

Starbright Well-Known Member

They are usually self managed. The letting agent takes their 1 month rent for finding the renter, then hands it over to the owner to run it day to day. A large difference is that maintenance costs are lower, in Aus you would allow 25-30% expenses whereas there you can allow 10%-15%.

big max likes this.
  5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

You mean agency costs are lower? I don't see how maintenance costs would be lower unless it was more like the Germany model where tenants have more power to maintain their own properties like paining and stuff.

6. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

In HK, 90% are flats, apartments. no gardens, roof, outside of house maintenance. therefore cheaper. But if you are buying older flats, then watch out for huge refurbishment costs for the whole building.

big max likes this.
  7. jaybean

I mean relative to Australian apartments.

big max likes this.
  8. big max

Link REIT is an outstanding stock. For many reasons, it is really the #1 stock I would recommend in HK at present. (Just hit close to a record high yesterday).

scientist likes this.
  9. Starbright

Yes maintenance costs seem lower. Have a few friends who own and comparing costs was a lot different. Basically what @spoon said. Even refurb costs are spread over many more apartments than Aust.

10. jaybean

Tradies cheaper? Body corp cheaper? Lower taxes and council rates? What is it that separates a Hk apartment from an Aus one?

I suspect it's the tradie part. I think Aus is unique in that blue collar workers can comfortably earn six figure salaries which is not common elsewhere.

11. Starbright

Tradies cheaper, less things to break down and go wrong. Air con maybe an expense every now and then. Less (or no) insurance in the case of my friend. Yes lower taxes, body corp is comparable from my limited sample. No ovens, no roof issues, hws are pretty basic, hardly any plumbing issues...etc

12. jaybean

Kitchen is a good point. Many Hk'ers I know don't even have an oven or dish washer. Theu jusr have a microwave and basic stove top, they go out to eat 90% of the time. I went there saying ok I'll cook an Aussie meal for you, where is your oven and most of them were like why the hell would we have an oven??!

13. Starbright

Yes ovens are a luxury and dishwashers are non existent. Who needs a dishwasher when you eat out so much or you have a helper :rolleyes:

Sackie, ellejay and big max like this.
  14. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Not to mention many fewer amenities, you'd be hard press unless you get into more luxurious type living to find such things as pools etc.

HK apartments are basically white box, bare basic living. In fact, I don't even consider those apartments as "homes". My mate married a local HK girl and he says they are hardly at home because it's so tiny and has that claustrophobic feel.

15. big max

Lol. Well that's more the local and smaller places. The expat places are usually fully set up with modern kitchens. (Plus helpers quarters which is great).

16. big max

True for some places. I know some HKers who live in lovely high end resorts with pools gyms BBBs bowling alleys etc. One great HK apartment complex is called Park Island.

http://parkislandhongkong.blogspot.com

17. big max

18. big max

With a REAL oven!

http://parkislandhongkong.blogspot.com/2011/07/nice-apartment-on-park-island-with.html

Yes HK has great dining and nightlife but remember around 10% of population are expats. The British influence, and Ozzies and US etc means that people do indeed want their ovens. Remember many are bankers and business people so they need to be catered for!

19. big max

20. CK_Invest

CK_Invest Well-Known Member

the intervention last year was not thought out very well (15% stamp duty for buying a second property), basically second hand sales are almost dead as nobody wants to let go of property unless u pay a huge premium; and everyone just rushes to buy first hand property (where developers can give mortgages on top of the 50% max LVR / LTV imposed on banks).

banks still flush with liquidity despite the US rate hike (HK is linked given the pegged exchange rate), i just purchased with an effective mortgage rate of 0.9% for two years :)