Historical valuation for GCT purposes upon ceasing tax residency

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by BeautifulBicycle, 26th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BeautifulBicycle

BeautifulBicycle Member

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster... Have searched for the answer to this question, but cannot seem to find.

I am currently living outside Australia and own 2 investment properties. 1 property was my PPOR before I left in 2008 and the other 1 purchased in 2010 and have never lived in it. For the purposes of CGT calculation, I understand for my former PPOR I need to get a valuation as of the date I left the country, and if I move into the 2010 purchased property when I return to Australia next year I need to get a valuation when I move in so I can claim partial PPOR exemption. My question is, how do I get this valuation? Is taking a screenshot of realestate.com.au enough, or is there some service I can pay to do for me that is more 'legit'?

Thanks in advance, I have learned a lit from this forum

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It may be completely irrelevant since the main residence exemption, absence exemption and CGT discounts could be stripped. Seek personal advice as the the relevantceof all issues. The date you left the country has absolutely NO consideration at all. Real property is not subeject to events at the date you departed like, say, shares may.

And no, a website view of values isnt sufficient. At all.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Most values should be able to do a historical valuation.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Registered valuers are acceptable to perform past valuations. However a valuation on cessation on apparent tax residency isnt a issue for australian property. Ever. There is no statutory basis.

Terry_w likes this.
  5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

if you are a non resident for tax purposes and the property was your main residence at any point whilst you were an Australian tax resident then a valuation won't help. The main residence exemption doesn't apply for non residents.

However all the third element costs may reduce the capital gain so hope you get records of all of those expenses whilst you lived in the property.

Now if you return to Australia as a tax resident then it changes things once again provided you still hold the property. A valuation might be required but will depend on dates. something to discuss with your adviser.

Duotax does valuations. www.duotax.com.au

6. BeautifulBicycle

BeautifulBicycle Member

Thank you, very helpful. Sounds like no need to do anything until I move back, then evaluate.

Firefly99 and Terry_w like this.