NSW Hills area

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ann_123, 29th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ann_123

Ann_123 Member

Hi Everyone

First post here! I am looking to buy an investment property and seeking capital gains in the medium / long term. I am currently tossing up between 2 properties: one in Beaumont Hills and the other in Norwest. I am not familiar with the Hills area and was hoping for some insight into these suburbs.

The one in Beaumont Hills is in Phoenix Avenue. I am not sure regarding the area i.e - how traffic is / if it's in a nice area of the suburb / if there are flooding risks as it's located next to Strangers Creek? Separately, I know that Rouse Hill is undergoing significant development and will be a strategic centre in the future, so I was wondering if this area of Beaumont Hills is well positioned for growth?

For the Norwest property, everything is fine but the only downside is that it's a community title and strata fees per quarter are ~$400 AND on top of that ~$350 in council fees (which seems unreasonable but again, I am not familiar with this area so unsure if this is usual)? I know there is a trade off as from the real estate websites, these properties have been quick to lease and there are nice schools around this area (e.g - Bella Vista Public School)

Grateful if you could share your personal thoughts and experience :)

Last edited by a moderator: 30th Dec, 2020
  2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    As they appear to be Million dollar plus properties , just keep in mind that either one will eat up lots of borrowing capacity and lots of land tax threshold ... both areas / suburbs are solid . Very small land component on the one you provided an address for ...

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Ann,

Investing in Hills area which already had enough run require proper strategy as rental yield would be low. Medium term capital growth would be average as they had enough run. Long term, no one can predict as things might change and some better suburb could pop up nearby.

4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Other than the property being quite isolated, some Phoenix Avenue properties back onto Samantha Riley drive which is quite busy so there will be significant traffic noise. There is also only one road into and one road out of the estate and leaving the estate and the median strip on Windsor Road restricts access to the estate ( you can't turn right from Windsor Road into the estate, leaving the estate you can only turn left onto Windsor Road ). It is a 17 minute walk to Kellyville Metro Station.

If you can't afford the area within a 10-15 minute walk of Rouse Hill Town Centre and Metro Station, I think you will get better capital growth close to Tallawong Metro station (the next and last station on the line after Rouse Hill):
    • aim for < 15 minute walk to the station)
    • Tallawong Station is the next stop after Rouse Hill and is the end of the line (I think this line will eventually be extended through to St Mary's and then the new Badgery's Creek airport)
      Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 10.11.15 pm.png
    • There will be a new Public School built in the area
      Tallawong Primary School | Major Projects - Department of Planning and Environment
    • As it is a new area it will most likely mean a House and Land package (avoid units in this area - focus on detached houses or townhouses)
    This is what the Tallowong area will look like once the area is fully developed:

Tallawong Station Town Centre Precinct South

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 10.12.54 pm.png

5. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Why the you buying in the hills region and spending 1 million plus if you are not familiar with the area?

Beaumont hills and norwest are nothing alike despite being collectively in “the hills”.

6. Ann_123

Ann_123 Member

Hmm..noted regarding the capital growth

7. Ann_123

Ann_123 Member

Thanks so much for your insight, really appreciate it - will defs look out for properteries around this area :)

8. Ann_123

Ann_123 Member

That's true - I've always heard good things about the schools and noted that there's a lot of development happening around those suburbs so thought those areas might be good for capital growth. Just wanted an insider perspective regarding these suburbs.

9. simplevalues

simplevalues Well-Known Member

Hasn’t sydney already seen much of capital growth in the last 5 years?You will be waiting very long(maybe another 10 to 15 years) to see any more solid capital Growth in Sydney...plus yields are very low....what made you think hills is a good investment? I would say the hills ship or even sydney as a whole has sailed past for investors....

Foxdan likes this.
  10. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I've heard this every year for 20 years. Even said it myself. Could have added and easy 7 figures to net worth if I had just stuck to Sydney.

11. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Yes but it still goes in cycles.
    2000-2003 prices doubled.
    2003- 2008- nothing
    2008- bargains to be had, bottom of market.
    2012 starting to move
    2013-2019 prices doubled.
    2020- 2023? Flat??
    Bottom??
    Next boom?

12. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Examples of two properties in Rouse Hill. Both 3-bedders. Torrens Title Townhouses. 20 minute walk to Rouse Hill train station.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 11.15.34 am.png

On example above, and then more conservatively I can envisage a 70-80% move in the suburb median by end of 2030, then another 70-80% move in the suburb median by end of 2040.

Trains direct to the city from 2024 (no longer need to change trains at Chatswood and with new stations at Crows Nest, Victoria Cross (North Sydney), Barrangaroo, Martin Place, Pitt Street, Central ).
    New Hospital to be built.
    Expect train line to be extended from Tallawong to Badgery's Creek via Schofields and St Marys.

twobobsworth likes this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Completely agree with this.

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  14. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Spot on.

Put another way, and I think I am paraphrasing Michael Yardney here: property doubles every 10 years, but not any ten years.

I think what cycles analysis of prices ignores, is rents. Sometimes when prices have a good run, rents need a few years to catch up, so house prices have to pause.

15. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

That future train map really shows the need for extra north south lines. A link between parramatta and castle hill(and possibly further north) is surely something that needs to be looked into.

As for the OPs original question, I would be looking at school catchments, Ironbark ridge requires a relatively high entry score for the coveted OC class and looks like it will be the in demand school for the north west. If you could get that catchment with walk to train then you are on a winner imo.

wombat777 likes this.
  16. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

For sure. Rents were moving well before the boom. Then it gets cheaper to buy (especially with the low interest rates of late). Lots of investors entered the market, leading to an oversupply in some areas. Rents have been stagnant for many years. I was hoping this would be the year they would start to rise. Waiting!!