Hilarious tenant complaints

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ellejay, 7th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Not in my house thank you!

2. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

A tenant emailed me and advised that he had been locked out. This is one reason I have a lot of spare keys stashed in a number of places, and have never been locked out. I was informed that the cost to get in was $250, which included putting in a new lock on the front door. When the place was renovated I had all external doors made with the same key, simpler. I cannot see why the lock had to be changed. I instructed the tenant to have the lock made the same as the other doors, and he said that he did not like this ... LOL.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

My son is in real estate. They had a bizarre new tenant take up a lease and all seemed OK. Then the new tenants front the agents office quite agitated and wanted to know why it was taking so long for them to arrange removalists. They thought that this was part of the deal. Free move in service...Yeah right

Glad I dont own that one.

4. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Where are the these new tenants from? It may be the case in their country?

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you default on your lease, bailiff arrives, and you remove their furniture :rolleyes: Simples.

dabbler likes this.
  6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Not my tenant as I've never owned an IP but an acquaintance of mine. He's IP was vacant. All cleaned and the windows were slightly open (he had security mesh on the lot.) It was winter. Came back a couple of days later and there was a note under the door from the next door complaining about the smoke alarms going off.

He undertook a small investigation. The cause was the neighbour who had smoke pouring out of her chimney. He wrote her a polite note advising of the cause (her) and if she used better quality, dry wood for her fire instead of green rubbish, the problem would likely be solved. He also solved the problem by later selling the place.

legallyblonde likes this.
  7. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

Good investment though... I probaly would of done it

Tom Rivera likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Bogunville

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  9. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Maybe you should have recommended them Reality Removalists.

Here's some gloves, a bunch of boxes, and don't forget this invoice...

Tom Rivera likes this.
  10. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We plan to demo the house in the future for dev. Don’t see the point as will never see return in rent.

11. chooke

chooke Well-Known Member

This one relates to a prospective tenant who inspected the property. He and his wife said they love the property and were very interested as it is located close (two blocks away) to a private school where they send their son. The townhouse is modern, well located and priced keenly given the weak rental market in Perth.

Anyway, they and put in an application but stated their conditions before accepting a lease. First they wanted to lowball me with a 30% reduction in the rent, they also wanted me to install a gas stove as they said the induction cooktop is not suitable for their wok (the house doesn't even have gas connected) and they wanted a 6 month lease so they can "try out the area".

I simply let the property out to the next couple who did not make any demands. Then the prospective tenant came back to me complaining that I did not respond to his application other than inform him he was unsuccessful. He went on about how he would have been willing to drop all his demands because the property was exactly what his family were looking for (apart from the gas stove).

New Town likes this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Congrats on your first post!
    Sounds like some Airbnb guests making an enquiry. Don't stress about them... Not worth trying to appease people who are trying to push their luck. In a rental I'd much rather work with a more easy going sort of personality, any day of the week.

13. chooke

chooke Well-Known Member

Thanks, yeah I tend to avoid tenants like that.

Btw, I posted quite regularly on another property forum a few years back which I think closed down and merged with this forum. I used the same login credentials...

ellejay and Gockie like this.