Highly optimistic - covid19 the catalyst for great things

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 13th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

As a landlord, I don't want to be bailed out. I just don't want to be totally left out if I find my tenants can't pay rent, (or choose not to pay rent), therefore I can't eat.

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2020
    Perthguy, Player, skater and 3 others like this.
  2. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

Scomo doing a great job in very testing circumstances.

kierank likes this.
  3. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Least he’s not stuck in Hawaii having a beer

4. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Same here. In my mind I have allowed for a potential 50-60 percent drop in rental income over a six month period which annualises to 25-30 % give or take. I understand we are all going to concede. The method is unknown, whether it is a reduction; a forgiveness or a deferral which may be wiped later. Unknown.

And, this is precisely the problem...the unknown. ScoMo has done a mostly great job in managing this crisis response in what is a very testing and trying situation. However, to declare a blanket six month moratorium with literally no criteria for states to formulate the rules and regulations governing this is irresponsible IMO. Human shelter is of prime importance. One would think that having the strategy to back up an all encompassing declaration is not unreasonable....but why let a crisis go to waste and not take advantage of a populist announcement. :rolleyes: Pardon my sarcastic appraisal.

What has occurred is an uncertainty that leaves both landlord and tenant wondering what the exact rules and qualifications are and festered a "class warfare" of sorts of "us" versus "them"
    It is a divisive situation he has created at a time when the nation should be unified. :(

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Exactly! Give me some rules & regs that are fair to all & I can work with it. This continual waffling does nothing except create tensions, where otherwise there should be none. I'd also like some kind of address that can stop scammers in their tracks. Although not personally affected, I've heard of many current welfare recipients that have decided now is the perfect time to stop payments, when in actual fact they've been given extra money. I like the Qld system, with a payment for rental hardship that goes directly to the LL, unlike the current 'rent assistance' that goes to tenants.

kierank, Tony3008, # 1 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Bought 5000 DDR bought @ $5.00 = 25k, now @ 7.51 kept 2000, sold 3000 for 23k. Now 2000 shares(worth 15k) effectively cost $1.00 each = 30% dividend and growing. The 23k was used for SPP, if get 50% allocation 1.8k profit if sold, now the shares effectively cost $200 have or 10c each they give 30 dividend= 300% plus yeild, Plus probably much more in CG.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  7. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

What about a new Bretton Woods moment?

Lizzie likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I started this thread a year ago. Since then, I have sold some great deals, got some fantastic rentals (for places I didn't sell but held, then sold one 6 months later for a good price), and as of today I'm a partner in a business in Asia which tutors kids. I'm very close to closing negotiations on becoming part owner in a virtual offices company in Sydney. Besides all that, the current booming markets has seen my overall base increase in value by consecutively 10% . Likely 15%+.

On a personal level, had amazing 2yr old birthday and watching her grow everyday is such a great gift I never take for granted.

So indeed covid was a great catalyst for me this past year and staying an optimistic, glass half full person has been the key.

How have others fared this past year?

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2021
    spoon, MTR and Patrico1966 like this.
  9. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

So far this past year, I sold out of one dud investment (just before Covid lockdowns started in March 2020), relocated from Brisbane to Adelaide with my wife, and recently just settled on a new PPOR here in Adelaide (we signed the contract around 3 months ago and only just settled last week).

I started a new job late last year, moved away from being an engineer and focusing on technical due diligence and asset management. Still working towards establishing my own business helping other investors in this area.

The other investment I held on to in northern Brisbane is currently going gangbusters.

Coota9 and Sackie like this.