Highly optimistic - covid19 the catalyst for great things

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 13th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am pleased to say that so far, ScoMo hasn’t bailed me out. I haven’t qualified for one cent from the Government COVID-19 coffers.

And I am aiming to keep it that way, hopefully.

There are a stack of more needy Aussies than me.

wylie and Islay like this.
  2. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Virtually every day he is spending like a drunken sailor as whole sectors look like collapsing.
    Today it was the childcare industry that had a cool $1.6 billion thrown its way before it totally collapsed as parents started pulling children out .
    Tomorrow they meet regarding commercial property landlords/ rents, as that might see a price collapse if small business go bankrupt over the next 6 months.
    It might also mean good news for residential property landlords that forgot how to make a profit and now want to be bailed out as well.

3. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Like you @kierank I will be very happy if we never qualify for any Government COVID 19 money. Stay well :)

kierank likes this.
  4. kierank

Can you please inform us of what you would do in this situation if you were our PM?

craigc, wylie and HUGH72 like this.
  5. Phineas

Phineas Well-Known Member

"When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity."
    – John F. Kennedy

Sackie likes this.
  6. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

And wait there's more, now we have the Irish genius at the head of Qantas screaming out for millions more to bail his rotten crowd out. His theory is based on how much the govt is going to spend on bailing out Virgin and then at least quadruple it for Qantas. Sssssh don't mention the bailout.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The original meaning of wēijī is "danger at a point of juncture,". Many linguists and native Chinese speakers highlight the errors in its Western reinterpretation :p

Vicki W and ellejay like this.
  8. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Close the borders in Jan, when everyone was calling for it. Take inventory of medical supplies for incoming pandemic, or at least not let CCP ship them all out of the country.

Instead, he was encouraging ppl to "go to the footy" up until a couple weeks ago. Politics aside, as a leader during a crisis, he has been flip flopping and hopeless IMO.

Patrico1966, datto, # 1 and 1 other person like this.
  9. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Lol that's funny JFK knows how to translate Chinese. I really doubt this quote came from him :D

Phineas likes this.
  10. Phineas

Phineas Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification Sackie!

Sackie likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

FYI I'm not chinese. Just an egg.

Player likes this.
  12. kierank

I think you are re-writing history here. Everyone - really????

For most of January, all Australians were focussed on the massive bushfires in NSW and Victoria.

First case of COVID-19 was not detected in Australia until 25th January.

Even at the end of February, Australia only had a total of 25 confirmed cases.

Australia didn’t get to a total of 100 confirmed cases until 10th March, 3 weeks and 3 days ago. A lot has happened since then.

I personally know of someone who flew to Thailand in the second week of March, even though we told her she shouldn’t go.

I understand people were still joining cruise ships as late as 15th March.

“Close the borders in Jan, when everyone was calling for it” - really!!!

Ahh, the advantage of hindsight.

With hindsight, I am sure a lot of world leaders would do things differently if they could wind back the clock including Italy, Spain, France, UK (Boris was shaking hands with COVID-19 patients in hospital at end of February even WHO recommended not to do such a thing), USA (Donald didn’t take the pandemic seriously until about 3 weeks ago), ...

So, they have all been “flip flopping and hopeless” IMHO.

Cripes, with the magic of hindsight, I would have cashed in all of my shares on 19th February.

Foxy Moron, craigc, Perthguy and 4 others like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It's ironic, Jewish Passover was cancelled due to a plague. Poor ol Egyptians suffered 10. Stubborn pharoah should have let my people go sooner! :cool:

kierank likes this.
  14. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Not hindsight, we watched what was unfolding in China, then Italy. Prior to F1 GP the gov were being continuously asked why they were not closing the borders. Yes Boris and Donald are the same ilk as Scomo, slow-minded populists that fudged it and are now panicking. We had a window, it was squandered.

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2020
    datto likes this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Resi LL did get bailed out sort of

median Australian rent is $430 pw

A couple with children, paying 30% of their centre link payments, plus rental assistance can afford to pay $472 pw rent and have $912 pw to live off

datto likes this.
  16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Not even a cent with me as well....
    That's fine..i dont want or need govt assistance (at least not yet, who knows about future). All I ask is that govt don't tax the crap out of those who got nutin at the other side of this.

Francesco, wylie and kierank like this.
  17. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Mazel tov :D

Sackie likes this.
  18. Empire

Empire Well-Known Member

I have options with cash, my super, euro debt and a ppor offset account. I think the sharp downturn has been slowed (definitely not stopped) for a few months, until these 6 month stimulus packages start to run dry. At the end of the day, can the government stop the tide going out long enough until the virus passes? Wishful thinking imo.
    I'm optimistic in the sense I reckon I can keep a job for a few months, hoping things start to normalize and then I'll be willing to speculate.
    I changed my super to cash a few weeks ago so I've minimal losses. I'm thinking I might take it out and control it myself in a SMSF. A lot of people are hurting in their supers and it annoys me that their super companies don't act quick to hedge this downturn. Obviously this would exacerbate the downturn but every man/company for themselves these days imo.
    Secondly re super accounts, a lot of paper losses are not being materialised, which is going to be further exacerbated by this 10k&10k withdraw scheme the government are offering.

It's all starting to make me nervous, excited & confused.

19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

People around the world, leaders, economists, sophisticated investors and bogans know the depth of the corona crisis. They know that over 1m people have been infected and so many have carked it. And yet the stock market rallies? To me, that says it's not all doom and gloom.

20. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

I'd wait until 20th February when the market peaked :p

kierank likes this.