Highly optimistic - covid19 the catalyst for great things

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 13th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are there some folks among us walking around with an upbeat tempo of excitement with each step?

Currently looking at all the various opportunities that will avail itself and I can't help but feel extremely optimistic, at least from an individual financial/investment perspective.

There's been so much doom and gloom with this virus, perhaps most of it is warranted regardless - I just can't help feeling extremely optimistic and excited with opportunities that may lay ahead in the next 12 months.

Hope I'm not the only one on here otherwise PC is gonna get a very lonely place for me.

ellejay, Phineas, The Grinch and 8 others like this.
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I need more cash. I need it now/within next 3 months before this window of opportunity closes. Just my guess.

Seeing the bargains abound and not being able to partake in a large, wholesale manner hurts (as much as the losses I've copped on paper thus far).

Sackie likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's a large reason why I'm feeling optimistic. I have not all, but most of the funds in place to capitalise at any moment. My feeling is those who are ready and have available funds, the courage and take action can do extremely well.

ellejay, Propertunity and Perthguy like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If you are cashed up some great opportunities

If not perhaps batten the helms

5. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Well-Known Member

Interested in hearing ideas what opportunities are you all monitoring.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

I have got my money ready to go for my planned purchase and an upgrade but will certainly be watching developments with covid19 in the next few weeks, it will affect any financial decision I make. Borrowing would be more difficult at the moment would it not? My financial adviser has advised me to sit tight which is pretty good advice.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Need to Google :oops:

Butterfly88 likes this.
  8. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I have the same feeling. We have a nice sum in our offset account ready for our ppor reno. If we make 20% over the next 12 months I’d be very happy.. but in no rush to enter the stock market yet

MTR and Sackie like this.
  9. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Ducks lined up perfectly, Once in 3 lifetimes opportunities, every-where don't know which way too look and which way to jump. Was looking at buying some property ,old houses on, big blocks with big yields in previously tightly held desirable locations. Share prices giving great yield on solid companies with strong balance sheets. Couldn't resist RFF @1.67 for 8% yield and growing and DDR @ 495 for 7% yeild with franking credits and growing strongly. At the moment already up 5% on them. Also took advantage of the value for NAN ( hospital disinfection) and VHT. Just crazy, mindless sell off on shares that should only benefit from virus outbreak and low dollar. Great yields and growth potential on offer, but I bet many people in 12 months time will still be crying poor and bitching about 0.5% return on their money.

Codie, Scaphella and Sackie like this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I am super optomistic. I am watching the market really closely wondering how much I should tip in when I think it's a good time. I'm not trying to pick bottom just identify when what I am buying represents value. Not at all concerned if the market drops further after that.

ellejay, Patrico1966 and Sackie like this.
  11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

For example, ASX:VAS is trading at $66.35 today. On Feb 20 it was trading at $90.82.

Pretty much you are getting a bargain if you bought it today. But what if the market drops further?

Let's say you buy 10,000 shares of VAS today and by the end of next week they drop to $60. You haven't really lost anything because you still have 10,000 shares. We know there is a strong probability the shares will return to the $90 price point down the track. So buying around this price point would be good buying and it will probably get better.

That's why I'm watching.

matt_j, ChrisP73 and Skinman like this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I am temperedly optimistic - just got to "get through" it first.

I'm a great believer in the need for a recession every 15-20 years, simply to reset the world economy and force a breather/step back.

Not interested so much financially - but more ethically and spiritually

The Grinch likes this.
  13. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

The asx200 dropped 7 percent, then rose 7 percent.....in ONE day.

Wow. Just wow.

Brady, Shady, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  14. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

A bonus of a recession is a suppression in extortionate tradie rates I’ve been charged in the past.. hoping for better value in a ppor reno

Ben_j likes this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

You picked the window after the GFC with your US property....don't miss this one. They don't come round very often.

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Sitting on the sidelines with not enough cash to do what I want to do, as I've just bought something else. Also got to keep plenty of cash for our PPOR reno.

Niche likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes I understand but there will be more deaths so I cant see this panning out straight away

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's the thing to be mindful of too. Yes, there's opportunity.....but there's going to be a lot of people in pain. This is not all fun & games.

ellejay likes this.
  19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well FWIW, I think SOME of those deaths (physical and financial) have been priced in.

Right now, the attitude is containment but I reckon we've pretty much missed the boat on that front. We're really in a 'delaying the inevitable' phase in USA, Europe and Oz wrt C19.

The only hope on the horizon is a vaccine, antiviral or the virus being suppressed by the NH summer OR C19 turns out to be mild enough for the masses that the fear factor turns to indifference. Then watch the market. There is a possibility that this carnage won't last longer than 3-6 months.

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I already made made money( started accumulating today):D

But I'm not counting on it yet. Looong way to go.

croseks likes this.