High St retail vacancies - investor strategy?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Clive Palmer's Yacht, 24th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Clive Palmer's Yacht

Clive Palmer's Yacht Well-Known Member

Hi just curious as where I live, there's an increasing amount of vacant retail premises along a traditional style high street which was formerly well utilised..there's no redevelopment angle due to heritage controls.

I understand that - in theory - a commercial landlord will prefer to live with vacancies rather than reduce rent to fill the spot faster (or retain a tenant) since this preserves the property's capital value. Further, that loss mitigation may be available from negative gearing.

..However, in this day and age, I suspect most banks will haircut a valuation on paper where the property has not been able to sustain an actual yield. Moreover, a would-be purchaser in most cases would take a similar view where that property has lain empty for an extended period (and others nearby have).

So why would a rational commercial investor seek unsustainable rent/rent growth under these circumstances where there's no redevelopment angle?

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.