high rise bathroom exhaust fan

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by bugalugs, 21st Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bugalugs

bugalugs Member

Our tenant has moved and and we noticed mould in the bathroom for the first time and of course the real estate inspections failed to report that the bathroom exhaust fan has failed (faceslap) - like what is the point right?

Anyway the sparky has quoted $500+ (yikes) - so on inspection I notice the bathroom vent is somehow externally vented via ducting to an inline fan that is installed in the wall cavity above on of the built in robes.. (amazing)

I recall it worked on a timer so when you turn the bathroom light off the fan continues to work for 10m or so.

Make appears to be ziehl-ebm and part number ROT-1 31497 049 but the company disappeared in 2003.

Any idea how I can best repair the thing more affordably?

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have a chat with a mechanical engineer (ie air conditioning consultant). Not a job for a sparky.

bugalugs likes this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

What do they intend to do,refit a new fan or replace the fan unit and reset the ducting,depending on how long this have been in-service ?.

bugalugs likes this.
  4. bugalugs

bugalugs Member

The sparky says the motor has burnt out. It doesnt make any sound when we flip the switch.

Lots of gunk in the ducts so I guess the work is to clean the ducts and replace the fan.. $500 seems a bit much IMHO.

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

How much do you think it should be and why?

bugalugs likes this.
  6. willair

Not sure on the price for a new fan unit but as long as the square too round matches the off-set duct then it's a just a re-install ..jmho..

bugalugs likes this.
  7. bugalugs

bugalugs Member

Yes my thoughts as well. Ive fired off photos of the fan to 4 "fan companies" I figure if I can get a fan for $100 and get a sparky to install for $100 then I am winning.

The root cause of why the original fan failed might be because it was labouring with all the gunk thats accumulated in the ducts over 20 years. That I am not sure how to solve. Replacing the ducts will mean stripping out all the plaster..

8. Scott No Mates

I'd tell him he's dreamin'. An inline fan, complete with casing and quiet? Nah! A decent, quiet fan will set you back around the $300-400 mark.

Linky
    Slinky

The Y-man likes this.
  9. willair

The flex ducting will stay as it's fitted ,the fan may be more then 100 bucks maybe in the 250 plus range ..imho..
    Schweigin ..imho..

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Most slimline apartment models are expensive then there is labour time. Most sparkies I know charge a call out fee that might include some time but it would be more than $100

You also do want a good solution so that it stays working.

Me? I'd be happy with the $500

11. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

500 doesn't sound unreasonable. This fan is nothing like a normal domestic bathroom exhaust fan - it actually has to push air against the resistance created by th ductwork. Use an AC firm though or ask strata who they recommend.

Beano likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Looking past the issue to the cause, fans create negative (ie low) pressure in the room by sucking out the air & steam. Is there sufficient clearance under the bathroom door to allow air in to replace the air which is being sucked out - you will need 20mm under your door to the tiles or leave your door open.

If there is no supplementary air replacing what has been sucked out, the fan will struggle and die a slow death.

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If its a fire door there are limits on the door. It often cant have a grille or a gap. A bathroom in many apartments has been designed for sustaining life while the firies turn up. Cant be modified...or shouldnt. Often bathrooms have a LSD...Life safety door system

How do you know its a fire door ?
    - Heavy and thick (may even have a fire rating plate on the inner edge). Some may include cores that are fire rated
    - Usually set into a steel jamb
    - Setback on the latch is longer
    - Door closer is heavy duty
    - Sprinkler inside the room may be a indicator
    - May have a door seal (Hotels and buildings above certain floor levels)
    Hinges will have three mounting points and be sainless stell and likely heavy.

eg Mirvac and other major devs often install fire ratings for hotels as they may tenant a property until its sold on a commercial basis. They exceed typical apartment spec.

Apartment fans are made for this issue and have a airflow bleed incorporated. The fan unit also has a thermal sensor. You cant have a $100 Arlec fan burn down a 23 level tower.

qak likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

If it is part of a system controlled by the Building, then the above would apply, it would also be likely to have fire dampers and a fire rated ceiling in your bathroom.

As @Paul@PFI notes, a cheapie fan won't cut the mustard unless it vents directly to the external face of the building next to your bathroom.

15. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Your right !
    I would check the price out it does not look right.
    The last fan I had replace (ducted) was on my commercial property .
    The washroom fan was $800 plus GST
    Check that the fan is the correct size in capacity and cycle loading as the price seems too low.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.