High equity, low income.

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Vacant, 30th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

What are the chances of getting a loan if you have high equity but low income.

Here's the scenario-

My fathers business has been struggling the last few years. A combination of splitting with a business partner and environmental issues have put a spanner in the works.

He owns a $750k property and I think borrowed about $200k to inject into the business. Does he have any chance in getting finance or will he have to wait it out until his business starts making a profit again?

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It's hard to comment based on the limited info provided but generally speaking - equity alone doesn't allow you to borrow.

It's income and the ability to demonstrate that you can service a debt that does.

Cheers

Jamie

3. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

I thought that was the case. To prove that he could service the debt would he need a couple of years worth of records and tax returns etc. or could you get by on a couple of BAS statements or something?

Basically trying to figure out what kind of a timeline he'd be looking at should things start looking up, which they seem to be. He's been offered bridging finance for a development site he was interested in but that doesn't really appeal.