High End Single Dwelling Development - Profitable?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Montgom90, 20th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Montgom90

Montgom90 Member

I have recently come across a group offering a design & build option that sits somewhere between a project home and a fully-bespoke build:

RUUM

They offer 5 different designs, of which they will complete a maximum of 10 builds of each design in each state. They have advised the build cost sits somewhere around $4,000m2 (dependent on labour costs in each region), with the equivalent specs on a bespoke build costing closer to $6,000m2. You get the benefit of design efficiencies and bulk product discounts whilst still offering a premium product.

It is an interesting concept and has got me thinking whether there is a market for this type of build that investors could profit from? I can see a potential market for this type of property in dress circle locations in the Southern Highlands or Byron/Lennox Head areas. Would be good to hear if anyone has had any experience with high-end single dwelling builds as investments?

Below are a couple examples of similar new pavilion-style builds.

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-burradoo-130951602

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-burradoo-134522790

Vacant one acre blocks in this area range from $1m-$1.3m. Assuming a 300m2 build, total build cost of $1.2m. Add in $300k for landscaping (needs to be substantial in these areas) + selling costs, and there is potential for a decent margin on this.

Keen to hear your thoughts!

2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

The Group offering the service will make money

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.