ASX Shares High Dividend Shares ?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 17th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

what are some of the highest paying dividend Companies on the Asx ?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The ones with the greatest exposure to risk.

3. radson

radson Well-Known Member

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for an e-mail alert that delivers this sort of info.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's quite interesting. From my limited knowledge it looks like the list is a mixed bag. Some potentially good buys and some duds I am sure.

7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

This sort of thing helps to give some perspective compared to more subjective recommendations.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

That list includes companies that are in the "would not poke a stick at" category (SGH, CAJ), others that have no hope of retaining the dividend (BHP, SGH) to other that I own today for growth as well as the solid dividend.

Despite the fall today, which I believe will be shown as oversold, I think FXL fits in the growth category for example.

9. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Yeah in that lis, t WPL has already dropped their dividend

10. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

if you cant find the answer to such a question yourself, you should seriously question whether you should be picking individual stocks yourself.

I don't mean this as any sort of affront - I don't pick my own stocks, I prefer to offload that responsibility to either an automated index, or the managers of my LICs.

Ouga, Ezzo, truong and 3 others like this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

As a long term income investor the greedy side of me wants to invest in individual stocks given the fat yields on offer at times. And I still do this occasionally:-(. But the trouble with individual stocks (even with expert analysis) is the nasty surprises they throw up at times. Have you got the time and/or enthusiasm to be monitoring your stock portfolio? Can you endure the stress of seeing one or more of the individual companies in your relatively small portfolio (20 companies is about all most can follow closely) savaged at times? Will you sleep well at nights with limited diversification? If not then BingoMaster is on the money with his suggestions.

I much prefer listed funds/ETFs for the time it frees up (let others manage it for a tiny fee in some cases), the nasty surprises are hidden in amongst the rest (less impact psychologically and financially), yield albeit potentially lower is much smoother and more reliable and most important the SANF is dramatically greater.

Personal view only, not a recommendation.

Starlite, Ouga, Perthguy and 4 others like this.
  12. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

This is a Forum where everyone asks questions.
    We could put your statement to any question in this Board Forum.
    "Is Ashmont a good buy"? Then we can qoute your statement .

13. radson

radson Well-Known Member

This questions is subjective and dependent on time frame, reaons for investing, risk characteristics etc

This is an objective question that easily be answered in a 5 second google search.

See Change likes this.
  14. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Vanguard do a high yield ETF (stock code VHY) tracking high yield AU shares. Good access to high yields without the risk of poorly chosen individual stock picking

15. radson

radson Well-Known Member

and YMAX and IHD. Good value, IMO when the All Ords is under 5k.

16. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

And high yield ETFs bring their own set of challenges, high portfolio turnover (creating tax events ; distributing capital gains sub 12 months holding) and based on their rules they pick up cyclicals on the way down based on forecast dividend yield, which is then subsequently cut. A look at the 12 month chart shows VAS at -14% and VHY at -21% (SP only) so this tells a bit of the story. BUT, over the longer term, VHY has outperformed. I think this is supported by the "hunt for yield" but also I know that in studies of the US market that long term "Dividend yield" as a filter has outperformed cap weighting.

High yield ETFs (like all "smart beta" products) are especially useful in SMSF where the low tax environment really assists with the realised capital gain distributions you will be picking up, and then makes VERY good use of the franking credits ;)

Edit ; AFAIK VHY has gone from quarterly to half yearly rebalancing to reduce turnover which was a killer, so the product is improved in my view. Could do worse.

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Feb, 2016
    Pleep, Player, Jack Chen and 2 others like this.
  17. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Always really very appreciative of your input @The Falcon. Thank you

The Falcon likes this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Hi Darlinghurstboy,

Fair enough comment. I also supported the general suggestion of indexes/LICs. However in fairness it was not the question you asked. Point taken. It is not for me to judge, will endeavour to stick to question/topic in future:-(

19. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

Yes i guess my post is also unsolicited advice. However...

My response was more aimed not only at this question, but in the context of a few such questions by the OP of late:

No luck with WOW shares
    ANZ Shares

With these posts in mind, I really do believe it's better not to pick stocks at this stage. Or if one does, be very comfortable with losing money. Which, given by the WOW post, doesn't appear to be the case.

20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Hi BingoMaster,

Yes, I was also agreeing with your suggestions cognisent of the OPs previous experience with WOW etc. But after reading the OPs responce I cast my mind back to a long time ago when I started out in shares. I must admit I too at that stage would probably have shunned such advice. Maybe not what the OP is trying to do, but Picking winners, "Trading for a Living", "Get Rich Quick" and anything related to that was the only thing worth listening to or reading about at that stage in my view:) I suppose the most important lessons I learned came from having a go (contrary to what others more experienced advised me) and learning from my mistakes (losing money hurts). God knows I wish I had listened to more experienced conservative investors earlier in life but it seems to be human nature for many of us to have to learn from our own experience/mistakes:( And for that matter passive investing doesn't fit comfortably with many out there. What keeps life interesting I suppose:rolleyes:

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2016