High ceilings - advice needed

Discussion in 'Development' started by robbie_p, 9th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

We are in the process of building our home and are busy putting together the building draft / contract. One of the extras we decided to go for was the high ceilings.

I think the high ceilings added about $4500 to the overall cost for a timber infill and about $6000 for a brick infill. The house is all brick, except for the front (which has been rendered).

Some questions..

1: Is it just me, or does timber / rendered infill look silly above doors and windows when the wall is brick?

2: Would a brick infill on a brick wall look better?

3: Should I just consider rendering the whole house (if not too pricy)? Easy to change the colour of a wall when its rendered opposed to bricks!

4: Are high ceilings really worth it?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

1. Depends on the design of the house.
    2. Depends on whether 1. Would look cheap/odd due to design of the house.
    3. Face brick is very low maintenance. Render often gets dirty ‘runs’ from water etc.
    4. Yes.

have you changed the head height of your windows or increased the total length to fit in with the higher ceilings?

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Timber infills can add a lot of maintenance work too unless it's made of fake wood.

The Y-man

Joynz likes this.
  4. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

The agent sent me these sample pics of how the infill looks..

Doesnt really match nicely against brick walls, but obviously unnoticeable on rendered walls.

Attached Files:

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is the infill the same material in the rendered and non rendered versions?

Even though the colour may be the same in the rendered one, it will be obvious if the material isn’t the same as in the rest of the wall - over time different textures may show.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The reason many builders do this is the need for a costly steel lintel to support courses of bricks is removed. We have rear rumpus windows with cement sheet above those windows (only) and I rolled them with same render coating as walls the week we moved in. 15 years later its still as good as new and hard to notice. Obvious a unrendered wall cant have that approach. I question if the paint colour should match the windows rather than be a third colour.

One other benefit of full brick is lack of water ingress and pests eg spiders.

The Y-man likes this.
  7. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

As per others suggest brick above the windows & yes high ceilings if your budget can allow.
    You will get the investment back if you ever sell, otherwise enjoy the feeling of the extra ‘space’ / larger rooms if PPOR.

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Many 1980's houses have a timber infill. Some look great, others not so.

wylie likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree. The photos above make it look cheap (to my eyes anyway). That flat sheeted panel adds nothing to the facade. But a feature panel of something, laser cut metal, timber feature, something like that would look better. No panel, just continuation of the brickwork, in my opinion would work best.

10. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

upload_2021-9-22_21-42-37.png

what am i missing they're only $30 a lintel? have i found the wrong product in relation to ones used over windows?

Joynz likes this.
  11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Multiply that by the number of openings. Then you got the cost of supply and lay the bricks on top of lintel. OP has been quoted $6K. Using timber is much cheaper and makes the place look cheap imo.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It depends on the size of the opening - flat bar is fine ‹1.2m over that you will need an angle, still not a major expense.

Elives and Joynz like this.