VIC Hidden valley

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Rob Pemberton, 15th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rob Pemberton

Rob Pemberton New Member

Hi all,
    My partner and I are looking at purchasing a block of land in hidden valley (Wallan), has anybody here had any experience buying there as details are fairly scarce and there seems to be a few restrictions in regards to building there so would love some feedback from other members!

Regards
    Rob

2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Must be hidden

Brady likes this.
  3. Moses

Moses Active Member

They have around 25 sort of covenants/guidelines to build thr.
    But the place is really beautiful to live in.
    I was about to buy thr couple of years back but my work doesnt allow me to move thr.

4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Sorry cannot help you as I don't know hidden valley estate to that level of detail. My in laws life up there but in the pretty sally estate.

5. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

I have a close friend who bought an established home there on a few acres. absolutely stunning estate, when i'm up there i can stand at the window for half an hour just looking out at the view.

I don't know the in's and outs of the restrictions, but they did mention a few things like roof tiles need to be a certain colour, building envelopes are tightly defined, and any structure must go past council (pretty standard).

TBH it didnt seem a huge amount different to any other mid-higher tier estate. Years ago i looked at building in subruban WA and restrictions included garage had to be <50% of frontage, roof pitch between certain degrees, drive a certain width, no visible caravans from the road, house a certain colour, basically ultimate cookie cutter approach. There is a great variety of designs in Hidden Valley so i don't imagine the restrictions are anything too intense.

Some tips for the build:
    • don't under-estimate the clay soil there, make sure your engineer/geotech knows their stuff
    • go extreme on white ant protection. One of their neighbours has it so bad they're considering a demo and rebuild on a relatively new house.
    • Not build related, but one thing my mate got pinned on was grass being over 75mm long (fire hazard). around Spring, they are out there on the ride-on mower every other weekend