Hidden enemies

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by HomeMinister, 25th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HomeMinister

HomeMinister Well-Known Member

we all talk about old properties and how good they are in CG CF etc. but does anyone

worry about natural enemies called termites? how do you maintain your IPS and how you guard youself from this risk?

does it ever strike you when closing a cheap deal that there could be hidden issue of this sorts?

could we gather some thoughts about this please??

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We check houses annually and get them checked before purchasing. Just one of the checks recommended for any purchase.

3. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Deildrin* or Aldrin* tend to do the job - long lasting, not affected by rain, ....

* known to cause birth defects

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What if you purchase properties that have termite damage at huge discount, provided the discount makes it a great financial proposition for you.

Have purchased a few of these.

Pest and build inspection if holding property always

Mtr:)

WattleIdo likes this.
  5. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

As long as they eat the house and not the land, everything else is replaceable.

Any annual inspection I've seen done is a guy walking around with a screwdriver tapping the walls.

6. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Annual inspections.. and less vacant time will help!

7. DareDevil

DareDevil Well-Known Member

One of my IPs had a service called Termguard which was done from the build date (it was just 3 years old). They need $200 every year just to inspect the traps, and every 3 years to replenish the system, Not sure whether I am going to continue with this.
    All depends on where the property is located and what is your risk apatite.

8. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

No cause I've bought most of my properties with a view to develop in 10 years, so the termites can feast away. One place I got was so good (location wise) I honest didn't care what state the house was in.

9. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@jaybean Termites moves n eats things really quick... 10 years you may not even have any thing left.. hey saves demolition costs...:):):):)

joke aside,..saftey is important.. do an inspections every now and then

10. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I have bought houses with termite damage, it has never really been a big deal to fix. As long as the numbers work I would not be deterred.

11. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We've bought properties with termites and on one occasion with active termites .

As long as your are aware and the damage is not extensive , or it's an aggressive type .

Cliff

12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

My understanding is that evidence of termite damage is not evidence of active termite activity. Keep the area around the house dry to decrease the chance of termite activity. Use the termite damage to get discount. If it's a good location and numbers add up I don't think it should deter you from buying. Of course annual inspection is necessary to ensure tenants are happy.

If a deck is badly damaged by termite surely you will want to have it fixed. You don't want to invite claims on your insurance.

13. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

In the area that I buy (Logan), pretty much all properties will have some form of past termite history - in fact, I would be sus if an agent told me a house was termite free!

Usually nothing to worry about (for the right price!) unless there are live termites or extensive damage to beams. Regardless, the T word always presents a good opportunity to negotiate a chunky discount (sellers are often more afraid of termites than you are!)

14. 4point5million

4point5million Well-Known Member

Try to use someone to inspect that doesn't have a vested interest

15. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

My PPOR has a termguard system and is due for a recharge. I am wishing that I also asked for treated timber frames as extra protection.

For the IP just settled in Deception Bay, the B&P identified places where the build under project, presumably done by the previous owner has not been done in an ideal fashion to reduce risk of termites. I guess that is the problem with DIY projects done without professional advice.

Yes a risk, however I'll get inspections done yearly. Hopefully if infiltration is detected it can be rectified hopefully with not much damage done.

16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If it's in qld or nth nsw and the property is over 30 years old and they don't find any termite entry points,then they are not looking hard enough,plus what's below the building is worth more then the building as a lot will find out in Brisbane,.

17. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Termites can course damage very quickly, I had a barrier lapse by about 12 months beyond the recommended timeframe, the tenants had some wood against the house and the termites entered the wall and ceiling fairly quickly. Damage cost about $3000 to repair, it could have been worse if their entry wasn't detected earlier. If this was left for another 12 months a new roof may have been required.

18. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

True,

Thats why you dont want to store firewood on the ground around the house for more than a winter season.

It brings them in quick I have heard.

19. Harro

Harro Well-Known Member

Remove all wood chip from garden beds especially if they abut the outer walls of building and replace with stone. Stone is not on a termites menu!