Hi, I'm thinking of moving from outer northern suburbs of Melbourne to the Gold Coast. After advice

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kitten, 4th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kitten

Kitten Member

Hi, My family are looking at moving from outer northern suburbs of Melbourne to the Gold Coast. Hubby is in OHS and I'm in Admin. We have 3 children. One in secondary school, one in primary school and one that is only 2 years old. Still not sure weather to sell up and buy straight away or rent out our ppr and rent on the GC before ultimately buying a ppr. Can anybody recommend a great suburb or two on the GC to suit my family and our schooling needs. (Public schooling preferred) After a bit of research, I think Northern Gold Coast is out. I'm thinking Robina, Varsity Lakes or Burleigh Waters. Thoughts on these suburbs or any that might be a better choice please? Some help with this is much appreciated!

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The Gold Coast covers a huge area.
    Where will hubby and you be working?
    That will dictate best area to live in.

3. Kitten

Kitten Member

Not sure exactly where we will be working but it will be on the GC and not Brisbane. We are in the process of applying for jobs and think once hubby finds work, we will move. We are in no rush, but would like to move within 2 years time does anybody know if the ohs construction industry is really competitive? He has applied for a few jobs but not even a call back. ( I believe it's because he is located in Vic?)

4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Why the GC? What about the Sunshine Coast?

MJS1034 likes this.
  5. Kitten

Kitten Member

The GC has a special place in my heart because I grew up there from theage of 3 till15. That was 25 years ago.

6. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

why QLD at all? Victoria, and Melbourne and surrounding areas in particular, are much better value imo vs QLD. economics, culture and education far better down here. maybe if you were going to live in West end or some other inner city suburb but the Gold coast....

7. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Gold Coast is much superior to the Sunshine Coast with better beaches, amenities and lifestyle.

OP I would rent out your Melbourne property and initially rent on the GC for 6-12 months. The areas you mentioned are good. Also consider Elanora and Currumbin. Avoid lower socioeconomic places like Nerang, Coomera, Helensvale, Pacific Pines etc which are full of bogans, drug problems and higher crime rates.

Mel_C and GX1 like this.
  8. Kitten

Kitten Member

I have heard that about the Northern Gold Coast, that's why looking at Robina, Varsity and Burleigh Waters. As a local, what suburb would you recommend out of these three? Also what is the most common ethnicity in these areas? Thanks for your help

9. Kitten

Kitten Member

I don't believe that to be the case in the area I live in. I'm outer northern suburbs of Melbourne and the government schools are terrible, the travel to work is one hour and the culture here is not great! I understand where your coming from, but for all the positives you have mentioned, I would need to move into another suburb and pay 1.3 million for a small old house. I think the value is much better on the GC.

GX1 likes this.
  10. GX1

GX1 Member

With the changes in the federal government's migration policies, I foresee Gold Coast house prices increasing in the coming years. (Yes, I too was shocked to hear it is now considered a 'regional area' according to the immigration department). Not many migrants will want to move to inland regional areas when the Gold Coast and Perth are options open to them. When you consider that part of the boom in Melbourne and Sydney is due to record levels of permanent and temporary migration - once you have set up migrant communities in the Gold Coast, it will experience a similar increase in prices that Melbourne and Sydney had seen. Perhaps the coming boom will not be as pronounced, because there are other factors that have contributed to Melbourne and Sydney's boom.

I don't see how prices can't rise given the impact these migrants have on local economies. Subletting (of bedrooms) becomes rife, they buy new furniture and appliances when they move here, etc.

OP sounds like others I know in my age group (mid-20s - late 30s, starting families) who have given up on Sydney and Melbourne prices, and are choosing to move interstate.

OP, my sister reports it is MUCH more kid-friendly, people have more active lifestyles because of the weather, and she believes it to be a much better place to raise children. If you value education, the schools might not be as impressive but you might find you are better positioned to afford private schooling for your children if you all move up North.

Melbourne is a great place to live in if you live in the inner suburbs - but the outer north isn't experiencing the benefits that those in the inner North of Melbourne experience.

Mel_C likes this.
  11. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Hey feel free to message me. I have 3 kids living on the GC and know all areas pretty well so can help with tips on areas. Yes you are right you do get much better value on Gold Coast I wont tell you how lovely it is to spend every day at beach to ; )

Kitten and GX1 like this.
  12. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

Great points. Don’t forget the baby boomers to . They are really driving up prices for properties walk to beach ! But you are right for a family it’s all about lifestyle on Gold Coast. For now it’s great but who knows for how long it is certainly getting busier and Tom Tate is still on a mission to build as many high rises as possible!

Kitten and GX1 like this.
  13. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

fair call. I would still try to move closer to Brisbane, north side or inner city. sunshine coast is nice (Grew up around those parts) but make sure you're near rail otherwise it's the boondocks or at best disconnected from the rest of civilization

14. EK01

EK01 Well-Known Member

We made the move from Melb to GC 20+ yrs ago when the kids were younger. In Brisbane now, but still have property in Burleigh Waters, and lived in Robina/Varsity & Mudgeeraba over that time. A great spot to raise kids although you might find that as they get older, they're forced for career reasons to move away to Brisbane or further. Try if possible to buy east of the Southport/Burleigh Rd, some areas around Mattock's Rd in the Burleigh/Varsity area can be a bit ordinary. We sold our PPOR before moving North which in retrospect was a terrible decision financially, but it also stopped us moving 'home' when we were missing family and the friends who didn't visit as much as we thought they would in the earlier years of our move. In terms of schools, we started off happy enough at Varsity Lakes College but as it grew bigger we switched the youngest to St Vincents in Clear Island Waters for Primary followed by St Michael's in Secondary - both good decisions for us.

Still love Melbourne, but the decision to move north was something we have never regretted. Good luck!

Last edited: 5th Dec, 2019
  15. Kitten

Kitten Member

Thank your for your advice! Will check out Google maps. Can I ask why your in Brisbane now and not the GC? Thanks again

16. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

If I was buying on the GC, I would be buying somewhere between Burleigh Heads to Coolangatta.

Too many tourists, bogans, schoolies, etc on the northern end of the GC for me :eek:.

wylie likes this.
  17. EK01

EK01 Well-Known Member

Long story but essentially move north initially was school related (sports scholarship), followed by work commitments once we arrived. Youngest recently moved out so we plan on returning south permanently over the next 12-18 months.

To be honest I wish I could combine the best of both worlds - we love Brisbane, its friendly people (we live in the inner west) and its future looks brilliant with all the projects happening, but this time of year is when we miss those GC sea breezes badly!

Last edited: 5th Dec, 2019
    Kitten likes this.
  18. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Yeah Schoolies, Tourists and Bogans hate Burleigh heads and the southern end aye, you know, where all the best beaches and tourist spots are ;)
    Even Tweed Heads in NSW is a good spot in the right areas

kierank likes this.
  19. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Not sure about the OHS bit but in general the construction industry is very competitive on the Gold Coast, it's cyclical and when the jobs dry up on the GC most need to travel north to Brisbane for the work so husband may need to be prepared to join the M1 gridlock at some point.

20. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nope, could never lower myself to live south of the border :D.

I would have to wear a blue shirt during SoO. Not gonna happen :eek:.

Lindsay_W likes this.