Hi, I am a renter and based in melb.

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by AmandaG, 18th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AmandaG

AmandaG New Member

We have been here just over a year and it has been one problem after another.
    Previous owners sold the house mid to late July and settlement was maybe 3 months ago.
    The previous owners now want to collect some furniture they had stored in one of the sheds.
    I feel that this furniture is no longer there's as the property has sold, but we have been working with our property manager for them to come and collect it anyway.
    This process has been going for over 2 weeks. We have given them times for them to come and collect but have either declined or not let us know if they are coming .
    I need some advice on whether I need to be compensating the previous owners or have the right to have the furniture removed??
    Thanks in advance.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The previous owners sold the house, if they left stuff behind - too bad, they no longer own it.

They have agreed with the buyer that they could store the furniture until they settled into a new property - only the buyer/seller would know that.

If the property manager hasn't changed, then they may be aware of the agreement or can bring it up with the current owner. If it's a new property manager, they should take it up with the owner.

Essentially, it's not your problem but you may have to grant access.

3. AmandaG

AmandaG New Member

Thanks Scott.
    It is the same agency as previous, but they are hopeless.
    So basically I would just need the current owners permission to have the furniture removed.
    I don't believe the previous owners even remembered furniture was here till we asked to use the storage area once the new owners took over the lease