Hi from up north

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by NSWelshman, 18th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NSWelshman

NSWelshman Member

Hi all,
    managed to find this great little forum and just joined up after reading some threads.
    I grew up outside of Sydney but have lived in the UK for over 10 years and now reside up the road in Singapore.
    I do not own anything in Aus, but am looking at picking up a little piece of my homeland. I think me and the missus want something for capital growth over 10 years, and I like the valuations of SE QLD (I see as good value from an international perspective). We are looking at a 10 year investment period, and like the upside that comes with houses on land over time. However I'm slightly tempted by the thought of an apartment with river views in Brisbane city (wife is not), and I'm also tempted to buy a coastal property to rent out for holiday lets...with the thought it could become a retirement property and be available for our occasional use. We may never live in our first property in Aus... and definitely not initially so we will miss the capital gains tax benefits of PPOR. C'est la vie. Looking forward to reading more...

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi @NSWelshman

Welcome to PC.

There has been changes to CGT benefits to owner occ properties for expats too.

Guess, you just choose - either CGT free (which means living here) vs just continuing on with living in Singapore ...

what had you decide to stay there vs return to Australia?

3. NSWelshman

NSWelshman Member

thanks @Property Twins.
    maybe we are fortunate /unfortunate enough to have options on where we can live, and I wanted to live part of my life in Asia. So it is for life experience rather than saving on CGT on a house in Australia. Having said that...if you have seen the income tax rates and lack of CGT on various investments in Singapore, you would understand why its an attractive place to live for some people :)

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

SE qld ...........can be great

or so so

choose with discerningly

ta

rolf

NSWelshman likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.