Hi from SE QLD - watching the property prices dropping :(

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PoppyD, 10th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PoppyD

PoppyD New Member

Hi folks,
    been involved in property for almost 20 years, done pretty well out of renovating places, but have now reduced our portfolio down to just 2 investment properties & our home. Feeling very uncertain about the world economy and the aussie property market in the coming years.
    Not sure how others are feeling?

cheers
    Stacy

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi Stacy, This is my take.

Markets are always shifting. Up, down, sideways. Some smaller and some larger shifts. Personally, I see a lot of opportunity in the years ahead. I don't worry about the world economy or even Australia's economy. When Australia (Syd and Melb) had its most recent massive booms, there were plenty of other world economies shot to **** at the time. I cant control it so I don't worry too much about it. What influences my buying decisions is:

1 . Do I see value in the deal?
    2. Do I anticipate long term the asset in the market i'm looking to buy in will do well?
    3. Can I add value to manufacture equity?
    4. Most importantly, is this buy within my risk profile and relatively safe for me to go ahead with?
    5. With my skillset and knowledge, could I get a better return for my capital investing in some other asset class or investments? ( for me I mostly stick to real estate)

I know too many people who get so bogged down and distracted by world politics, economies and end of the world scenarios that they either get paralyzed by fear and never get started to build wealth or start a small portfolio and then abandon their goals as they get spooked by rumbling markets. What is the right and wrong answer to this dilemma is for each person to grapple with for themselves.

I personally wont allow fear to hold me back and as a contrarian investor, look upon market fear and D&G as positive signals to be alert for upcoming opportunities. Evaluate the opportunity, measure the risk and rewards then make a calculated decision within my risk tolerances. So I will either do very well long term or do mediocre at best. But I won't ever put myself in a situation where I could lose significant capital (relative to my net worth) or get wiped out.

Last edited: 11th Apr, 2019
    yorkie, Cate Bell, Eric Wu and 5 others like this.
  3. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I'm the same, been making money through real estate whilst all sorts of world and local economic wobbles were going on, .You might need to adjust your strategy or the type of deals you do, that's all.

yorkie, Propertunity and Sackie like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

100% Agree @ellejay . Being able to be flexible and versatile changing investment landscapes is crucial.

yorkie likes this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I assume you are talking perfumes here :D.

That is, Dolce & Gabbana
    Dolce & Gabbana Perfumes

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Don't knock it till ya rock it :p

this would suit you :D

Screenshot_20190411-122227.jpg

kierank likes this.
  7. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

Interested to hear what you have seen in the last 20 years, what you have done and why you thinking for the near future in SE QLD?

8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I (and the wife) love their male perfumes, especially the dark blue.

I don’t wear pj’s to bed; now I know why :D.

That price is (nearly) a deposit for a house in Sydney :eek:

Sackie likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Off topic but Tom Ford has some really nice aftershave if you want something new.

Ok back to SEQ etc etc

kierank likes this.
  10. Cate Bell

Cate Bell Well-Known Member

Bought two IPs in 2008, buy and hold, and coming back into the market now. Seeing some excellent deals, especially easy renovators, around that I think will do well for the long term.