Hi from Beachgurl

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by beachgurl, 19th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I've been around SS for quite a few years but have been quieter these past few years than I used to. Life before kids was all about investing and getting rich. Now life is about having options without needing lots of money in our pockets. Have bought and sold a few properties over the years.

My current properties are
    Guildford townhouse - purchased 2002
    2 Colyton, 2 Orange and 1 Trashmont, all in 2007.
    Greystanes in 2013
    Chermside 2 lot subdivision in 2014. Slid and raised old house and sold and the other side is currently under construction
    Just secured an LMR site in Coorparoo which I'll hopefully put 2 houses on.

I threw the job in nearly 2 years ago and am property investing now, being a stay at home mum and housekeeper in my spare time. So the house is never clean.

After this project we may look toward consolidation of our portfolio. Doing projects to pay down debt and offloading our positive cash flow headaches.

jim1964, Mick C, Toon and 3 others like this.
  2. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

..... consolidation of portfolio, would love to be in that phase one day.

I like your Chermside splitter. I recall when you purchased it was already in 2 lots. How much does it cost for the raise and move the house?

I also like your Coorparoo LMR site. What is the lot size? Are you keeping existing and build 2 at the back? I thought if demolish existing and build 2 for is not achieving best use of the LMR?

3. beachgurl

It's only a 600sq block so building 2 side by side.

It cost me a lot to slide and raise. Lots of under quoting til I'd got engineering plans and then real prices were quoted eg each restumping co I spoke to said 20k for slide and raise. Once I gave them plans (they wouldn't provide written quote without it) they each then quoted over 35k. Same with builders post-raise. I would've been much better to demolish.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good work beachgurl. What's happening in Orange at the moment?
    And where is this Trashmont you speak of?

5. beachgurl

Trashmont is Ashmont, in Wagga. Good returns when the tenants are paying and the neighbors are not damaging my house or the tenant's belongings.

Orange has been very flat of late. Val's are coming in low as there is a lot of 7 year owner occupier stuff coming back on the market. I have seen a bit ofimprovement in the past month or so with vacancies and prices. I'm in the low demographic end of town so I have no idea of the rest of the market there.

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Toyed with trying to buy a development site of some form when looking for my first IP. Missed out on a nicely zoned splitter in Kippa-Ring.

Noticed some slide and raise projects when driving around Scarborough and Redcliffe about 4 weeks ago. Seems like an interesting way to do a development.

Might give it a shot for my next IP.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I saw one across the road in Red Hill a few years ago, thought it was a novel idea. Would definitely consider it, but as above, gotta get the costs right.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

well done! ... how do you do it!?
    im a stay home dad and im flat out with little time for the reading, researching and investing stuff!i need to go back to work to get more time on here!
    any tips?? ihave one child asleep on my shoulder now as a type!

9. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

I would think you can fit 4x150m2 double story t/h and be better roi, no?

I recently had a verbal quote to shift of house on the same block to be $25k

10. beachgurl

Beware the verbal quote!

11. beachgurl

My youngest is in daycare a few days per week so I try to do as much as I can on those days. That includes before sunrise trips to Brisbane and back home for the daycare pickup. Most urgent things tend to happen on the days I have the little guy at home with me, so I understand your pain. I may have been known to run upstairs with the phone in my hand and close the door before a tantruming child can follow me in.

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

wow day trip to brissy! that would be a big day!!
    haha i usually find the best time is when i pul up at the shops or wherever and get 5-10min to quickly email or SS before they lose it!

13. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Any chance of a link (even via private message) to the Coorparoo site or is it too early? Very curious as I've been looking at something similar.

Good to see you've migrated too!

14. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

Hi Beachgurl,

I'm a stay-at-home mum too, but with older kids. My days are packed with the kids' activities, preparing meals etc. My house is never clean too :D

How many IPs did you buy post kids? How do you find the time to do your IP thing?

15. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Hi BG,

Is ashmont the only property that has given you headaches?

Also will you get your money back after selling them?

I have heaps of clients that have properties in Ashmont and every time I speak to them its the same story (i.e. hot water system has been nicked).

16. beachgurl

I've bought 6 post-kids. One was a 6 week flip. Bought a new PPR at the same time and was renovating both. I ended up in hospital with pneumonia so perhaps I pushed too hard.

The youngest is in daycare 3 days per week and the rest of mid week work is thanks to Lollipops Playland and Maccas if I need an hour or so. Usually I do extra stuff at nights once the kids go to bed. Once you gave target areas tho there's not really a lot to do in between properties. It's just the irregularity of the PM phone calls and broker chats that can be tough to juggle sometimes.

Catalyst likes this.
  17. beachgurl

I've had lots of arrears in the past 12-18 months and a few sheriff callouts in other properties. 2 at the same property in 12 months in western Sydney.

The Ashmont place has been pretty quiet for a while now. Perhaps the tenant who thinks the house is haunted is feared by her neighbours. It's one place tho that of a tenant leaves, there's no guarantee of a new tenant in quick time or they the house will stay in tact if vacant.

Yeah I have between 30-50k equity in each of them so I wouldn't be copping a loss.[

18. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Noice.

19. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I grew up in Wagga.

Nothing has changed in 20 years.

It's called Trashmont for a reason.

Shame we don't have a suitable nickname for its siblings Mount Austin and Tolland..

20. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I have a tenant who keeps calling out the lock smith as ghosts keep opening the front door!!

Last edited: 21st Jun, 2015
    beachgurl likes this.