Hi everyone! Newbie to property investing and hoping to learn from the gurus here.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sammy_Boy, 4th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sammy_Boy

Sammy_Boy Member

Hi all,

Very excited to join this forum. I am based in Melbourne and have recently made my first investment in property. I am a newbie in property investment and other related aspects like taxation etc. so hoping to learn from you all good folks hear.

I recently made a 5% deposit on a residential land in Melbourne West. The titling is expected in Feb 2022. The price of the land is $306,000 and I made the deposit in June 2021.

Similar sized land in adjacent estates is now selling in the range of $340,000 to $350,000. Also, a Carlisle home on a similar sized land in the same estate was recently sold for $680,000. So now I am thinking should I sell the land (no restrictions from the estate) or build a house and then sell it. What are the tax implications in the two scenarios? Any other considerations I should keep in mind.

Thanks in advance,
    Sammy

2. danz

danz Well-Known Member

From experience, I wouldn't be surprised if titles are delayed/pushed back. May work out well anyway, if rising market continues. Have you got finance sorted?

Other people here can probably give better advice re: tax implications. Or have a chat to your accountant.

Regarding whether to sell or build, I guess comes down to your goals. What are you looking to achieve?

3. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Does your contract allow you to sell your land prior to it getting titled?

4. Sammy_Boy

Sammy_Boy Member

Thanks for your reply danz. Honestly just looking to make a good profit on my investment. No specific needs or goals where I need to take out the money at a certain time etc.

5. Sammy_Boy

Sammy_Boy Member

Thanks momentum26. Yes the contract allows me to sell the land prior to getting titled. I guess, if I do that I will save on stamp duty also.

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Can depend on how your purchase contract is worded. Get specific advice on this.

Sammy_Boy likes this.