QLD Hervey Bay is it Finally Picking up?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by spot, 1st Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kevvy7

Kevvy7 Well-Known Member

2. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I didn't realise it was that bad - I've only driven through on the way to & from Hervey Bay.

3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hervey Bay aside, you may find that you can buy a PPOR here without using your IP for equity at all.

If you've never bought in WA before you're allowed to have an IP and still get the First home owners grant, and you may not need a huge deposit at all.

4. Miss_D

Miss_D Well-Known Member

Id say watch this space over the next 6-12 months, a few projects have kicked off. A new pack n save is coming to maryborough, first one in australia, the nz version of aldi. Edmi downer got a new contract expected to add extra staff between 10-20 ppl. Couple of other projects going on. Whether this has a major impact on the economy time will tell. My work people are still leaving, probably had another 10 leave in past 6 months or transferred out of the area. I know the todd herron report says were in a rising market, but id say we are still bottoming out in maryborough.

As for the news article and old charm.. old qld'ers are a pain for up keep!

ZoomZoom and Toon like this.
  5. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

6. John Fish

John Fish Active Member

We've lived in Hervey Bay for the past four years and have seen a steady increase in property values. I personally would be holding on for now.....that's if you can afford the council rates that is :p

Toon likes this.
  7. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Member

I lived there for 10+ years and loved the place. Services and facilities are good with both shopping centres undergoing major extensions in the immediate future. Property prices still haven't returned to 07/08 peek, so still room for steady growth although I don't believe this will happen for a couple years. Unemployment rate is still high with EDI (formerly Walker) still the major employer in the region, council are slowly shifting the towns dependency off EDI and onto other projects and employers. The number of big projects in the council pipeline are promising for the towns long term growth with tourism the main focus of past years.

Future harbour mapped in Maryborough - ABC Wide Bay Qld - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Yeilds are still strong, but stick to the better properties in town and don't be lured by the sub $200k options purely chasing yield. Tidy or renovated properties are in high demand by estate agents and will be much easier to rent.

https://www.realestate.com.au/prope...m.au/property-house-qld-maryborough-124369638

https://www.realestate.com.au/prope...m.au/property-house-qld-maryborough-124771230

Toon likes this.
  8. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

9. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Tourism: Coast has fastest rate for international visitors

"Figures released on Wednesday by Tourism Research Australia showed that in the year to March, Queensland recorded bigger increases in visitor numbers and visitor spending than New South Wales...

The Fraser Coast was "doing pretty well", he said, with the fastest growth of any region in Queensland for international visitors.

On the domestic side, visitor numbers were down, however spending had increased by eight per cent, which could be attributed to people having longer stays in the area."
    The new direct flights between Hervey Bay & Melbourne commencing next month should help things along on the domestic front too.

10. Kevvy7

Kevvy7 Well-Known Member

Any news on the ground?

11. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Sandy , Well drained .... :D

Cliff

mcarthur, Kevvy7 and Toon like this.
  12. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I'm in Vic too, so I just find whatever info I can online & share it on here for any other Hervey Bay tragics :p

Kevvy7 likes this.
  13. Kevvy7

Kevvy7 Well-Known Member

Very well drained. One of a select few spots in qld that you dont have to worry about flood zones

14. Miss_D

Miss_D Well-Known Member

Lets see, pack and save went in, in maryborough. Ive been there twice. Its basically a bigger aldi. Not sure how its going verse the other stores, but the car park is always busy. Ergon depot builidng, to replacing aging buildings at searle st in maryborough is now finiacially approved, so its set to be built in two years. New ambulance station on hervey bay rd and uraween rd also set to be built within next 18 months. Both of these finananced by the state gov.

Maryborough got mary poppins lights installed, yes seriosuly they replaced the man with mary poppins... its supposed to attract people... plus mary poppins festival next weekend too for maryborough. Other festivals for hervey bay in spring.

Hervey bay sports complex now to go ahead, after much yes and no by council.

New tinana intersection under work. Another 12 months of work i think. Redesign of that intersection to the bruce highway.

Thats pretty much it for major Stuff. House prices havent really varied. I havent seen a change in rental prices either. Tourism does seem to be up.

Toon and Hawko79 like this.
  15. Miss_D

Miss_D Well-Known Member

Oh the other thing, down in hervey bay have noticed a few more houses going in over past six months then before. Land vacant for 18 months then all of a sudden 8 or so houses being built.

Toon likes this.
  16. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

And Wide Bay just scrapes into the top 25 regions for net internal migration:

[​IMG]
    Woohoo!

17. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I'm not sure to what extent this should be taken with a grain of salt, but one of the Hervey Bay RE agents that regularly sends me unsolicited letters singing their own praises in case I should want to list my property for sale with them, has just claimed to have recently sold properties to investment buyers in China & Dubai. This is the first time such a specific statement has been made and if there's anything in it, it could hint at a new direction for the area.

18. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

19. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Typical govt empty talk.

Under a "possible" procurement policy, "future" trains "may" be built in Maryborough.

And federal Labor is talking about smacking her over the head for proposed breaching of Australian trade agreements.

Hard to get excited about.

Now if they had placed a definite order, that WOULD be cause for celebration!
    Marg

Toon likes this.
  20. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member