Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Heritage site - Boarding House potential?

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Melbpositivegeared, 27th May, 2016.

1. Melbpositivegeared

Melbpositivegeared Well-Known Member

I've been looking into a site that I believe would be ideal for a new gen boarding house- however it's in a conservation zone.

What would the first steps be in putting together a feasibility? Anything I need to be aware of?

2. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

Check fire compliance, disability compliance, general building compliance for this type of property. The costs would be pretty high for the conversion depending on what's there of course.

Finance for boarding houses is done on commercial terms.

How many rooms would you get out of it?

3. Stacy

Stacy New Member

My town planning partner says
    "It would be good to check what is actually protected under the conservation or heritage overlay. It could be something simple as retaining the external look of the building or the front fence. However, some heritage overlays can be really restrictive. They may prevent you from doing anything to the internal or externals of the existing building. Make sure you get a copy of the heritage report from Council before proceeding".

Hope that helps

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What is permitted under the zoning? Review the LEP & DCP as well.

As a new age boarding house are you building new? Does the overlay prohibit demolition? Are there new houses in the area? How long ago were they built?