Here is the Argument for Refinancing and never Sell

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by MTR, 4th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

That's what I thought but I didn't want PC members reading and believing one could do it direct.

Terry_w likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It would work out like this:

Discretionary Trust makes a $25,000 distribution to X who is on the top marginal tax rate of 49% with other income of $200,000. X makes a deductible contribution to super of $25,000 and claims $25,000 as a deduction. X's income is still $200,000

Pentanol, Perthguy and kierank like this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I need pictures to understand the trust etc structure properly in my mind. And possibly a slow explanation.

kierank, SOULFLY3 and Corkey like this.
  4. kierank

I am a visual person too.

If you would meet with me, I would draw you the pictures. But you just won't!!!

Gockie likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It's not a competition, as I said different strokes for different folks

the forum is a bouncing board to share opinions everyone has one, I like your style but does not mean I have to follow.

Terry_w likes this.
  6. kierank

In one post you said:
    In a later post you said:
    I thought the definition of a B&H investor is one who "retains assets to generate income and grow net worth".

IMHO you admitted that you were a B&H investor. That is why I said "I rest my case".

I don't understand why you made the comment about "It's not a competition". I don't believe I have ever said that it is or even implied it. If I have, I am happy for anyone to correct me and I will apologise.

Totally agree about the 'different strokes' comments. Many times on PC, I have posted that "there are many ways of skinning this (investment property) cat".

I was just pointing out the inconsistencies between your two earlier posts on this thread. In one post, you stated you weren't, then in a later one, you said you were.

We are both retaining investment properties to generate some of our income and grow part of our net worth. I call that part of me a B&H investor; I thought you would have too.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi Kieran

I was trying to explain and not too well that I would not go back to my original strategy when I started investing which was B&H all properties only and refinance, title of thread.

I would continue using current strategies which in the main is trading properties

The point exactly that there is no right or wrong.

MTR:)

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2017
    SOULFLY3 likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Or buy, build, sell some, hold some.

This is a strategy that involves holding but is not a traditional B&H strategy @kierank ;)

Observer, SOULFLY3, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  9. kierank

What about:
    Buy lots, renovate some, demolish some, build some, hold most, sell some, ...
    That is what I do. I thought that was what B&H investors did. I don't mind if I am not traditional; am I a contemporary B&H investor or maybe a modern B&H investor? Anyway, I see myself as a B&H investor.

Who cares about titles and subtitles? It is more important that we take action.

BTW, with shares I consider myself a B&H investor as well but we won't go there.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Sounds great to me @kierank. I like renovating and building too.

Buy and hold forever doesn't work for me. I bought half of a development site in Melbourne but we never got around to developing. There is only so long I can hold a negatively geared development site without developing. Once a market nears peak I have no reason to continue to hold a negatively geared development site I have no plans to develop

SOULFLY3, kierank and big max like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

get a good accountant that will work through your personal scenario, really important

Last edited: 7th Jan, 2017
  12. Brisbane_reader

Brisbane_reader Well-Known Member

If you sell 12 months after the value add activity how do you argue to the ATO this is capital gain and not revenue? I would have thought this is an example of undertaking the activity for the profit on sale not the income generated from it.

Perthguy and Terry_w like this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My thought is, do it once or twice, then that's generally ok. Do it more than this and you may need to explain yourself...

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia