Helping Victims of Scammer

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by TMNT, 27th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

so long story short, I may have posted on here about it a few years ago,
    I was stupidly scammed out of thousands of dollars by an individual,
    fast fwd a few years and after getting my butt into gear, I managed to get all my money back
    through some good luck, detective work and persistence, including going to court and getting police involved

Have been made aware recently, that this individual is up to their old tricks and a fair few reports online (a quick google search shows $30k in total) I have quite a bit of personal info about this individual, that can be used as leverage

What is the best way to give this info to victims?
    The best I can think of is to create a basic website that explains my situation, and put their name down so search engines will pick it up, and then I get people to email me, and I give them information and the chasing up process

nature of scam: think of it similar to those tradies that come round to your house, get upfront deposits for work and never come back

ellejay and Redwing like this.
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

There's a few sub Reddit's you could post on

Last edited by a moderator: 5th Oct, 2019
    Dan Wood likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Leopards never change their spots. Look at Peter Foster. The old diet tea scam has been reinvented for decades in many countries. And property spruikers and seminar presenters. They just reinvent or use a new front.

Those knock knock scams are something Fair Trading are endlessly chasing. Roof repairs, bitumen driveways, paving and gutter repairs, painting, tree felling and so on.....Problem is they prey on old nannas & pops who wont check anyway. Take the information to Fair Trading and if you have done a bit of legwork they may take it further.

Redwing likes this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I am very surprised that it doesn't happen that they rip off the wrong person one day ...

Last edited by a moderator: 24th Aug, 2020
  6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Well

I'm continuing to get calls and emails requesting help/advice/info in this scamming individual

Ive got a lot of personal info including addresses, drivers license, bank accounts,

I'm estimating $1k per victim x 35 that I'm aware of.

What else can i do or info i can give to these people??

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

As corny as it sounds - mass media? ACA? Even the ABC seems to do consumer stories now...

The Y-man

TMNT likes this.
  8. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Laudable ! TMNT,
    to protect your self , how will you make sure your privacy and the other victims are protected?
    I hope this helps

TMNT likes this.
  9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I cant think of Peter Foster without thinking of Sam Fox :D

upload_2019-10-6_17-7-2.png

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I'm a very private person so won't be giving my details/permission to the media,

As for the other victims, i well be asking them their permission.

I hate it that the police cant do anything as its a civil matter, and this guy keeps on getting away with it!

11. danvestor

danvestor Well-Known Member

Yes Peter Foster is a great example of the police not being equipped to follow up on modern fraud.

The scammers tread the line between fraud and business, check out sports trading club as a good example
    Sports Trading Club scam - Part 1 - Finance - Whirlpool Forums

Police pretty much refused to follow it up despite millions being scammed. They always say it's a civil matter, which it clearly isn't.

12. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

done! reported to scamwatch,
    have no idea if they will do anything

14. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think you guys are being a bit harsh on the poor scammers. They're people too, they have to put food on the table, keep the lights on. It's getting hard to make a dishonest living these days! Can you imagine the stress and mental health issues these guys are going through knowing the police might actually try to track them down some day?

Ohh! Just looked at my email. Apparently I'm going to be able to quit work as soon as the $50,000,000 inheritance from a long lost little known royal uncle comes through. I'd better get on that!

Actually, if you do catch up with a scammer, or someone who gets a kick out of writing virus programs, bury them in a shallow grave for me. I've got some ideas for corpse disposal...

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2019
    TMNT likes this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Scammers play the civil law card well. They know what is difficult to check and enforce. They prey on vulnerable people knowing that police and Fair Trading etc will take a long time to catch up and then they will argue it was a bad business dealing.

Take care with retribution. You are dealing with someone who doesnt respect laws and who takes personal risks. They can do crazy stuff if you harm their income

16. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I'm going through the process with a scammer currently. Initially was told by police its a civil matter, I did some digging and found other victims. Went back to the police and made a new statement that's currently sitting with the Financial Crimes Unit Assessment Team. I'll wait to hear the outcome but will absolutely go back to my Federal MP and the media if it doesn't progress.

I went to ASIC they declined to investigate. I went through their complaints procedure, they declined again. Then I went to the Commonwealth Ombudsman. Finally got a phone call from ASIC and I will continue to report to them until I'm satisfied.

I did the same with CBOS. They didn't respond to my report either, or my complaint. I complained to the Tasmanian Ombudsman (where this oxygen thief is based). Finally got a thorough written response from them. They can't do anything but at least this scum is on the radar.

I now have a FB chat group with most of the victims I'm aware of, to ensure everyone is supported to report to every agency possible.

Have an investigative journalist lined up to print the story.

This has been my full time job for months, and that's the level of determination required to get the relevant agencies to pay any attention at all, and even then the fraudster gets to carry on business as usual openly ripping off the uninformed.

TMNT likes this.
  17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I respect and admire your persistence.
    Did you want to post the fb group?

It really sux how the victims have to go through hoops just to get it investigated.
    Ans its another hurdle to legally pursue them

ellejay likes this.
  18. ellejay

The chat group is just for victims to support eachother and encourage reporting. This scammer is still advertising their property investing program and attracting paying mentees, even though they have stolen from a number of clients of her business, and has had their house repossessed!

Last edited by a moderator: 24th Aug, 2020
  19. ellejay

I also have a wiley debt collector on board and will ensure that every asset, possession or income stream this person has, or will have is pursued until they've paid up.

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2019
    KateSydney likes this.
  20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You rock, Girl

KateSydney and ellejay like this.