Help with R Codes R40 2000m

Discussion in 'Development' started by db444, 6th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. db444

db444 Member

Hi,

Newbie question,

I am trying to understand what can be developed on 2000m of R40 for a unit site. I understand 45% of land is to be open leaving 1100m but what is the min unit size and thus ie range of possible units or do other restrictions clip this further Do car ports reduce your calculation or is there a get around.

Appreciate members help.

2. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

@db444

2000/average site area ( 220sqm)= 9 lots. Some can be as small as the minimum lot area of 180sqm. And there is a 5% variation that can be applied for.

Councils may have requirements in their tps (town planning scheme) as to requirements to get R40 ie build double story, minimum frontage etc etc

Or for multi dwellings (apartments) use plot ratio of 0.6 so 2000x.6= 1200sqm of build area so for example 17x 70sqm apartments.

Generally anything open on two or more sides doesnt count as build area and instead open space so carport alfresco portico etc.

Hope that helps.

3. db444

db444 Member

that does help, thanks for the quick response. So does the second floor count as floor area since the footprint does not increase?

4. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

In regards to open space- No. It uses the footprint which would be around 55% of site area . And open space 45%.

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

9 lots may need some wide driveways or private roads

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

This is true. I have heard changes are coming out of WAPC (or are they gazetted yet?). Not sure where they went with this but I heard the access could be much wider?

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Second floor is counted for apartments/multi units but not for grouped dwellings (villas/townhouses)

8. Perthguy

This is actually a reasonably complex question. For development, you will want to check out the R-Codes, particularly the definitions and also the explanatory guidelines. You will be particularly interested in the definition of Open Space. This is the bit about carports you will be interested in:
    That would seem to indicate that carport is not open space. But, anything in bold is further defined, so we would need to work through those definitions to make sure we are on the right track.

Hey @HD_ACE, I seem to recall in a previous version of the R-Codes that carports were included in open space?

http://www.planning.wa.gov.au/Residential-design-codes.asp

9. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

@Perthguy

I think The part in the r-codes to look at is

• verandahs, patios or other such roofed structures not more than 0.5m above natural ground level, unenclosed on at least two sides, and covering no more than 10 per cent of the site area or 50m2 whichever is the lesser;

But i agree that the clause

• covered car parking spaces and covered walkways, areas for rubbish disposal, stores, outbuildings or plant rooms.

Does make you wonder. So now im not to sure lol
    Hard to read the r-codes on a phone :)

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I have a feeling a covered car parking bay is different to a carport. But I'm not sure.

@Aaron Sice has been teaching Rcodes today so he can probably illuminate.

11. Perthguy

Hmm... yes. If someone said covered car parking bay, I would not immediately think "carport", so it certainly raises some questions. To complicate things further, the definition of "Open space" does not have carport in the "includes" or the "but excludes" sections. It only refers to "uncovered car parking spaces" and "covered car parking spaces". At a guess I would say that "covered car parking spaces" would include carports and garages. However, it is not safe to guess when dealing with the R-Codes.

12. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Carport

Carport A roofed structure designed to accommodate one or more motor vehicles unenclosed except to the extent that it abuts a dwelling or a property boundary on one side, and being without a door unless that door is visually permeable.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Any covered parking space for a vehicle is excluded from open space.

Uncovered spaces are expressly written as being included as open space.

Define 'covered' with Google and you will find a carport and/or garage meets this definition.

Now, if it were using the term 'enclosed' carbay like it used to.....

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Perthguy

Thanks @HD_ACE and @Aaron Sice. I thought these days that carports were excluded from open space.

15. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Yes that's what I'm saying :)