Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Help with outdoor plumbing

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by RichardABCD, 29th Sep, 2016.

1. RichardABCD

RichardABCD New Member

I noticed the drain cover on the path outside my house had come off the other day and moved about 10cm away like it floated there. The water seems really high and it seems to be damp around it like the water is coming up and leaking over (probably why the cover had come off and maybe floated away).

It hasn't been raining at all the past few days and has been very dry so it's not a sudden amount of rain or anything.

I am wondering if this is related to a bathroom issue I have also. The bathroom window is right inside where this drain is.

The sink sometimes drains very slowly if you run a lot of water in it or the shower is on. I tried cleaning with a 1.8m snake and also with liquid and crystal drain cleaner and the snake came up with nothing.. It's only when you run a LOT of water down it or the shower is on that it will then drain slowly but it does drain. Normal use the sink empties straight away.

Does anyone know what this drain is for and what might be causing the problem?
    Is there a solution and is it related to the bathroom issue?

Also how can I stop the drain floating away like that because I'm worried someone will not see it and land in the hole.

Attached Files:

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Looks like a blocked drain. The blockage could be anywhere, and my suggestion would be a drainer with an electric eel to run the whole length of the drain.
    Marg

bob shovel and Phase2 like this.
  3. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Maybe this is what you're looking for....

"An Overflow Relief Gully (ORG) protects the interior of your home or building from sewerage overflow. It is a drain like fitting located outside the property that is an important part of the plumbing system. In the event of a sewer blockage and ORG is designed release any sewerage overflow away from the interior of your building and outside to a garden or external area."

Overflow Relief Gullies (ORGs)

4. RichardABCD

RichardABCD New Member

That looks like what it is. It certainly popped off as in the description. I just called Urban Utilities to get advice on what to do

5. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

If
    If the blockage hasn't cleared then @Marg4000 is on the money.... drainage eel to clear the whole pipe.

6. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Look around for any nearby big trees - drains need to be cleared but you could be doing that every 6 months or so. Eventually you get new pipes and/or get rid of the tree.