Help with old window trim- moldings

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Wayno, 2nd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wayno

Wayno New Member

Hey guys,
    We have these odd window moldings on the exterior of our house (refer to attached pics). Would love your opinion and advice on what we can do to replace these, preferably without having to replace / install completely new full side windows.
    The house is approximately 40 years old so may have been the in thing at the time; however trying to modernise the house exterior these really are an eye sore. Absolutely hate them lol
    We’ve not seen these anywhere so would love your help on a fix!
    I’m thinking timber or some other material resurfacing..

Cheers,
    Wayne

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They're a plant on timber trim onto fibro sheet. I would hazard a guess that you could hack them off with a chisel or pull out the panels & whack in a new sheet of fibro

3. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Paint the window frames and bottom panel in black. Might cost you less than $100 in material. There are special bombs to spray on steel for window frames, I think about $10 each at Bunnings. Black has the magic to fade into the background and attract eyes on everything around.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’d remove the fancy trim if you can, patch and smooth and paint house colour so they just disappear and become another section of smooth wall.

5. turk

turk Well-Known Member

The backing for the trim may be asbestos, you should have that tested as there will be loose asbestos if you remove the trim.

Painting may be your best solution.

wylie and Joynz like this.
  6. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Paint the same colour as the house and it will look a lot nicer.

You could even glue / screw a panel in front of it and a trim on top then paint to the house colour.

wylie and Joynz like this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I like the idea of painting the same colour as the house. Just looks bad now because it’s white.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.