Help with Layout improvement

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by momentum26, 16th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am looking to get your help to assist me in my consideration for layout improvement. I acknowledge the layout space I am working with may not be sufficient to convert it into 3 rooms.

Curious to check what you all think is my alternative to add an extra room, convert from 2 to 3 rooms unit (please see layout attached). Also this being an apartment/unit I am unsure of what approvals would I need to have in place from council/body corporate committee before carrying out any works.

It may involve extensive works involving knocking down the walls to create space, and being on the ground floor (the block has ground + two floors above) I am clueless what could be safe and achievable. Happy to supply any information that is required and I may have missed including.

Thank you in advance. Your time and input is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Looks like two options would be
    Convert dining into say 2.5 x 3m (small, but with its own private balcony), but this would limit access to the other two bedrooms (a bit awkward going through the other bedrooms if you want to sit on the balcony.
    or
    Convert the living room space, but this looks to be a bit awkward itself from entry and lines into the other rooms in the house from there.

Would have to choose the lesser of two evils- you'll know the space best.

I would discuss with body corporate once you have solid ideas and take it from there.

All the best

3. momentum26

Hi Jamesaurus,

This would mean the living area becomes darker not having little bit of daylight that it gets currently.

You are right, this could look awkward - Entering one room to get to the other two rooms.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Don't think strata would support your idea but if you don't ask you don't get.

IMHO can't convert the dining as living room will be windowless. You're better off converting the kitchen into a bedroom and putting the kitchen where the dining is....but good luck with that proposal. Seeing you're on the ground floor though, they might let it slide. Gonna be an uphill battle though.

momentum26 likes this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Turn the current dining room into a "study" with its own balcony, which will give it more space and appeal. Remove the wall if possible between the kitchen meals area and front entry/living room to allow a table/chairs near the kitchen. However the tiny new room will still not be legally big enough to class as a bedroom. Can you change the current balcony door to a glass door, I have done this before. I had to get it made to order.

I would prefer to leave it as a decent-sized two bedroom unit myself.

momentum26 likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You will need strata and council approval.

Changing a 2 bed to a 3 bed may breach rules around car parking ratios, fire evacuation etc.

But you won’t automatically increase the value by making a 3rd bedroom, quite the opposite if the result is poky, dark rooms with inadequate natural light and ventilation.

7. momentum26

Thanks all for your inputs. I’ll stick to 2 rooms that I have instead of complicating it too much.

Perhaps focus on doing few little things to give it a fresh look. I’ll list them below and would appreciate if anyone is willing to share their reliable trade contacts in Melbourne for below works and approx cost based on your experience:

1. Remove and Install new vanity in bathroom along with dressing cabinets.
    2. New fittings in shower screen and tiling. No changes required to bath or it’s fittings as they seem fine.
    3. Fresh coat of paint (all walls)
    4. This is not mandatory if it will cost a fortune - the unit has a popcorn ceiling (70’s built), would be nice to have a false ceiling which is smooth and flat.