Help with layout improvement

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by beethoven1912, 29th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

So I’ve put together a draft floorplan based on the ideas received so far. See attached.

The missus didn’t really warm up to the idea of converting the garage into a bedroom with ensuite, so not sure if we’ll be going ahead with that.
    Still undecided about converting the carport into a double garage, as I’m not sure if that would hinder natural light from coming into the house?

On the other hand, we really like the idea of rearranging the “wet” areas, as the current setup can definitely be improved.
    Which also means we may be able to chuck in a Study area.

Keen to get your thoughts @Westminster @Archaon @Angel @wylie @vbplease

2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

On one hand I think a rejig of the wet areas is required as the store room is quite strange (although it could be handy).. and the shower in a room by itself is even more strange..

On the other hand, I'd be reluctant to do a reconfigure of up to 5 x wet areas (you've even moved the wall of the Laundry), since wet areas are the most expensive rooms to renovate.

I'm not a big fan of the separate Study, as it may be 1 x function room which could potentially be unused most of the time.. maybe if it has loads of storage or perhaps doubles up as a home gym/sewing room etc

Take my opinions with a grain of sugar, as I'm a tight ***, and try to squeeze every last bit of value out of renos.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

This still doesn’t give you the extra bedroom with ensuite and 2 living areas you said you wanted in the OP. The study was considered optional.

wylie likes this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

It's their family home, not a budget reno for an IP that someone else will be living in :)

Moving a wall is nothing in the greater scheme of things, that's why I suggested it.

5. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

I think this is good to keep under existing roofline for $. Looks like you may be on a slab so not as easy to move the plumbing to tweak the en-suite toilet & bath location & increase shower size.
    Also suggest review main bath as looks like you could find some extra space for the study / 4th bed, looks like there’s extra space there.
    You wouldn’t have an en-suite for bed 4 and would need to find a study nook in a corner of one of the living spaces.
    But would be a good compromise if $ are limited.

6. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

Good suggestion there!
    The more I look at it, the more I realise it’s probably impractical to get another ensuite.

Extension maybe the way to go, however may require the whole layout to be rearranged.

7. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Get a nice north sun with garden view for the study/office
    Get another bedroom, didn't put ensuite in but could be added
    Put a shower over bath if there isn't one already.

I think the layout of the house is decent given north is the front. It's taking advantage of east sun for living area and didn't want to block any north windows. It makes sense to zone additional bedroom and study as bedroom area is already very well zoned.

The extension here would be quite simple as it's just rooms (as long as you don't need ensuite. If you need ensuite then it will bump up price by 50% i'd imagine.

beethoven1912, Archaon, Angel and 2 others like this.
  8. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

Absolutely love this idea @Zimplestiltskin
    It makes sense to keep the existing layout as much as possible, and the extension isn’t too extensive either.
    Not sure if we need another ensuite in the 4th bedroom, it’s more of a “good to have” instead of a “must have”.

Zimplestiltskin and Archaon like this.
  9. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

I'm glad you approve. The house is really well designed toward the east and north light but protecting against the west sun. Especially deals well with the sun at the front of the house. I'm sure the place gets a lot of natural light without a lot of direct sunlight heating up the rooms.

Enjoy it

10. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I was wondering about adding a room/bathroom on the back of the garage, like a granny flat - could access through the kitchen.
    Not great for light, but could be repurposed as the study/WFH when you don't have visitors.