Help with layout improvement

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by beethoven1912, 29th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

Hi Guys

Hoping to get your thoughts on potential improvements to our house’s floorplan.

We’ve bought this house in the Eastern suburb of Melbourne, and will be moving there next year in anticipation of our little one going to primary school in the area.

Ideally we’d like to have another bedroom with ensuite, 2 living areas, and an optional study.

Keen to hear your thoughts on what we can do to improve the floorplan. Also not closing out option for extension if it makes sense to do so financially. FYI the house was built in the 80s, so we will need to do some renovation work nonetheless.

Many thanks

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Which side is north?

vbplease likes this.
  3. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I’d put a double carport out the front and convert the garage into a new bedroom plus ensuite.

I think it’s a good point @Joynz raised where is north.. converting the north facing lounge into another room would kill the lighting aspect inside the whole living portion of the house.

What’s the point of having another bedroom with ensuite when there is already one there? (Considering it’s for a young family)
    I assume it’s for a nanny/au pair? Having the new bedroom ensuite located in the garage would help with the separation?

5. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

By double carport, are you suggesting a tandem?

The reason for the additional room with ensuite is to create more space. My sister has moved in with us and we often have family visiting from overseas, so an additional “guest bedroom” will be handy so we’re not all cramped together.

vbplease likes this.
  6. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Here are my thoughts
    extra bed.jpg

7. vbplease

Depends what your budget is, but I think a tandem carport open or closed in, to the front of the existing garage, would be pretty economical.. it would use the existing slab, then the garage could be converted to a new bedroom suite..

For a study, I wouldn’t build any fixed partition walls.. I’m a fan of flexible spaces - you could use cavity slider doors to partition off a study from part of the living but keep it open most of the time to make use of a large living area.

8. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

Interesting concept on converting the garage into a bedroom with ensuite. Haven’t thought about that before.

As for the location of study area, where would you place them? Would you suggest similar placement to what @Archaon suggested?

9. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

Paging @Westminster
    I have been told that you are the resident expert on layout improvement, and would be keen to get your thoughts ;)

10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Lol

Could the study be along one wall of a second living area or would you prefer no study if meant compromising a living area

Looking at the plan there is definitely no way you can put in another bedroom with ensuite without losing a living area so an extension is pretty much the only way that is going to work

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

There is a large area in the house that is made up of bathrooms/laundry. Could you reconfigure this to fit in a study?

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

How about building a second storey?

Joynz likes this.
  13. vbplease

Do you have a budget in mind?
    Converting the garage would be very economical compared to an extension. You’re probably looking at a minimum 20sqm x $1,500/sqm = $30k for building a new bedroom suite. Whereas converting the garage you already have the structure there, the hardest part will be getting the plumbing in. You also won’t lose yard area by not extending.. you won’t lose area building a new tandem carport as the driveway is already there with a suitable parking surface. You just need to build the roof.
    I’d incorporate a study nook into the dining/meals area. This room is already partitioned off from the living so it could stop noise from tv/kids playing.. and using the study is most to coincide with time not using the dining?

Check out the concealed study nook
    10 brilliant study nook ideas

14. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

Thank you all for your replies, I’ve now gotten so much more ideas on what can be done.

We thought about this at first, however as we have a significant land component (just under 800sqm) we’d rather have a single storey house even if it means we build an extension.

Yeah, I’m very much open to reconfiguring the existing floorplan as I think they can be improved. Do you have any suggestions on what can be done?

I also wouldn’t mind building an extension, and would be keen on your suggestions re optimum placement so we can have an additional bedroom with ensuite, while maintaining 2 living areas. Study is optional.

We’d like to allow up between $100k to $150k for extensions AND renovations. We were originally toying with the idea of a knockdown rebuild, however serviceability is tight.
    Also the existing house still have good bones, so would be rather wasted if it was to be knocked down.

15. Archaon

Renovating the garage will reduce the amount of storage you have available at the front of the property, do you have plans to have a shed or something to help with a big house and all the stuff that is brought in with that regard?

You could maybe enclose the front carport as another garage as well?

Do you have a photo of the facade?

Bath.jpg

is the original ensuite shower 900x900?

You could make a deep shower in the ensuite to have dual shower heads and make a double vanity, while also making the main bathroom flow better without having a segregated shower by putting a freestanding or back-to-wall bath under the window.

Last edited: 31st May, 2020
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

What is the "store" used for? Access is from outside.

Can you add a shed outside @Archaon has suggested, and give that space back to the house?

(Though it is smack in the middle of two bathrooms, so that might mean two new bathrooms as part of any reconfiguration. Do the bathrooms need re-doing anyway?)

17. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

Yes there is a shed at the backyard.

Are you suggesting to convert the carport as a garage? I was also thinking of the same, however my other concern would be where to locate the entrance door?

18. beethoven1912

beethoven1912 Member

I was actually thinking to convert the “Store” to be part of the ensuite. It will be more of an unused space for us when we move in.

Yes there is a shed at the backyard, not so big however we may be able to upgrade if required.

The bathrooms are rather dated, so yeah they will most likely need some refreshing.

19. Archaon

You could out the entry into the lounge and make a foyer, creating a nice front door entry space.

You could then convert the entry into a study?

I like the study near the front door if you were to operate a business from home.

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Beautiful home!

You could put the toilet in the space where the solo shower is, then reconfigure the laundry/toilet rooms so that the laundry is narrower and the toilet room/laundry space becomes your new study. Renovate the existing bathroom to get a new shower and running a bath underneath the window. This is all way too expensive unless you are already planning to redo the bathrooms. Do you want a private study room, or will study nooks in each child's bedroom and one in the family room suffice? This would be far cheaper than knocking out walls and reconfiguring plumbing.

I agree with turning your garage into a bedroom/ensuite and building a new carport. Use a garage door on the carport to improve privacy and security.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice