Help with heritage colour scheme

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Propertunity, 9th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

One of my properties is a double storey, 40yr old brown brick home. I need some help with a newer colour scheme.

I'm stuck with Manor Red on the roof as its on the separate carport, house and cabana. Cottage Green for gutters & downpipes, boundary fences, and trim I'll keep as well, because it's too much to change. The only colour I'm really interested in changing out of at present is the Cream, which is on screen doors, balcony rails and some hardiplank infill here and there.

I had a thought (just the one :)), that black on the railings would make them visually disappear (it works on the swimming pool fence). I've tried some spray-can gloss black which I think will be ok on the cream screen & security doors, but I'm not sure now that I've started the rear stairs.

Mrs Propertunity thinks it is making it too dark and she would need a houseful of new light-coloured furniture to brighten it up (nice try!! - but enough to make me re-think the black on balcony and rear deck & stair railings).

Should I just bite the bullet and re-do the existing Cream? or should I persist with the black? or do you have a better idea?

Attached Files:

2. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

Hmmm...black doesn't look right to my eyes. How about a darker cream colour, for example "sandbank" in the colourbond range. Goes well with manor red.

3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I would go with dark grey/charcoal tones like Monument or the lighter Woodland Grey, its dark enough but still has heritage undertones.

Propertunity likes this.
  4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

My vote would be a no for black on the balustrade, but yes to matt black on the security screens (to match the door frames).

I’d stick with the heritage colours :)

Propertunity likes this.
  5. Propertunity

Gloss, semi gloss or flat you reckon? Isn't Monument just black?

6. Biggbird

Biggbird Well-Known Member

Wait, 40 years old is heritage?!

7. Propertunity

No, but they did a faux heritage colour scheme 40 years ago from memory. It had the roof finials and all.

Biggbird likes this.
  8. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Semi-gloss in high touch areas, low sheen on wall areas. Flat matt is a nightmare to keep clean and scuff free. Full gloss is looking a bit outdated IMO.

Monument is my favourite, it looks almost black without comparison, but is not heavy like black. Here it is in application:
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-nsw-waverley-132962206
    Windows, kitchen, garage doors and some walls are all in Monument.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Consider engaging a colour consultant eg Dulux etc. Makes a cheap investment and they will work up some images and it will all match.

Dulux Online Colour Consultations

Lizzie and Jacque like this.
  10. Propertunity

Thanks Paul. I have used and recommend them before, but thought I'd be able to match up 1 colour on my own, if I was committed to keeping the rest - but apparently I can't even do that much :)

11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I would get rid of the green and black rails and go for one of these darker Blueish colours 2887CEDE-F5F7-4869-8B5A-AC67D6C804B7.png

12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I think the blueY-grey tones may tone down the bricks A825777B-A23D-4F13-890D-7CD19B98BA56.png

13. Propertunity

Thanks everyone :) So far we have:
    1 vote to go with the black that I started but in Monument (might try this to satisfy my own self - at least paint is easily painted over to some other colour)
    1 vote to change the cream colour to a darker version of cream
    1 vote to stay with the heritage colours (tempted to do this)
    1 vote to change everything into a blue range
    1 vote to outsource the decision to a consultant
    Hmmm.

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I like Monument. But if you go for a blue range, I've used Ironstone which is a dark blue grey, next to a lighter grey & it looks fantastic.

Lizzie, Jacque and Propertunity like this.
  15. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Alan do you remember my place out Hills rural way with the manor red roof? Yours is the same colour and tricky to work with, as it's really a heritage colour. As I recall we got a colour consultant out but unless we were willing to ditch the cream (which we weren't as there was too much of it!) the green ended up staying. We did, however, have deep grey french doors to the front, which actually provided a nice contrast. I think black would be too dark, but I'm with @Paul@PFI on this one- spend the money on a colour consultant as they're worth every cent. Happy painting! :D

Propertunity and Propin like this.
  16. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I just remembered my friend has a red roof. I didn’t realise until now she has the blueish theme!! 2D9DDA68-CF1C-413A-8527-8260B93B300C.png

Attached Files:

17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’d be tempted to paint the stairs blue-grey too - Ironstone would look good

18. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Ironstone on one of my old properties. Probably more the colour I was thinking instead of green. BDD29002-7CD3-4B0B-B83D-57DB9A2CFC80.png

19. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Have a look at Ironstone - one of the Colourbond colours. Quite dark blue/black which may offset the cream quite well. I am using it on my current project with creamy/yellow brick and quite like the contrast. One of the advantages of using Colourbond colours on the exterior is that virtually any paint company will have the correct tinting codes and for fiddly bits you can buy the colour in spray cans.

Posted while I was typing. @Propin - great minds think alike.

Propertunity and Propin like this.
  20. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Hey Alan,

I would just paint everything Terrace white and leave the Red Roof, if your in Newcastle next go past 95 Kemp Street Hamilton South.