Help with floorplan change

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by NewBee, 23rd Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

But put the shower at the other end, so loo is under the window :)

NewBee likes this.
  2. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Nice work Skater!
    This plan also gives the option of adding a hollywood robe to the north of the master bedroom.
    This would sneak just a tiny bit back off the deck area, if the OP was so inclined.
    I see wardrobe space as a major plus in a master, but it depends on location, reno budget and personal taste of course.

NewBee likes this.
  3. NewBee

NewBee Member

After reading all the comments, I've changed the floorplan so that it makes more sense, but still practical for us:

- Resized the original bathroom, and enclosed it in the existing 2nd bed which is now larger. We're fine with either of the 2 bigger bedrooms to be the master, as the top one faces north, but the bottom one has way better view (the site slopes up toward the back)

- The extra bath became smaller so that it doesn't take too much space from the dining room (it is hardly ever used anyway). The washing machine then goes under the vanity.

- The smallest bedroom is now a bit larger too, due to the existing bathroom change. However as it will only work as a study, I'm thinking of making it part of the open plan. If we one day need to sell, then the future owner can enclose it and make it a bedroom again.

I just really hope reconfiguring the floorplan this much wouldn't make it a whole lot more expensive, but will only know after speaking to a few builders :)

Really hope to get feedback on the revised floorplan too, but the above comments already helped a lot, thanks heaps everyone!

Attached Files:

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Looks good but would consider keeping it the third bedrooms ... even if the third is single/nursery size

Last edited: 24th Jun, 2020
    craigc, mikey7, skater and 2 others like this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Ask some local agent what financial impact comes from turning a three bedroom house into a two bedroom house.

Angel, skater and Lizzie like this.
  6. NewBee

NewBee Member

I looked at past transactions last year and it seems almost all of the 2 bedders in the suburb are the units.. But point taken, we should keep the walls then, function-wise it's still the same :)

Lizzie likes this.
  7. wylie

I would think in most areas (big generalisation I know) going from a three to a two bedroom house is a mistake.

skater and NewBee like this.
  8. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

skater, Lizzie and NewBee like this.
  9. wylie

I went looking for a similar photo but your's is perfect. Our neighbours have an office that juts into their living area and kitchen with exactly this door set up, so it is totally open to the living or can be closed, but I think possibly it does limit it for use as a bedroom.

But it's a fantastic idea. Would be good to show the local agents and ask if this would put off buyers wanting a dedicated third bedroom.

vbplease likes this.
  10. NewBee

NewBee Member

Yes we know it's likely to be bad financially, but were hoping to balance out between keeping value, and creating something that works better for us, as we don't plan to sell anytime soon (but no one ever knows the future!) :)

I think it's a great idea, definitely will look into it, thank you! :)

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Most people want at least 3 bedrooms in a house, & even if there's space to put the third one back, they can't 'see' it when looking at homes. I'd also keep a bath in there, whether you use one or not, many people like to have a bath, even if only for small children.

NewBee and wylie like this.
  12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

BTW, does this home have a pool? Are you contemplating putting one in? If so, I'd also keep the outdoor toilet.

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes, my preference as well, but once I'd put it in, I'd clicked out of the box part and I couldn't change it. The main aim was to show how it would fit, and sometimes a diagram helps, so all good. :D

Lizzie likes this.
  14. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Agree with everyone above and sorry but you are definitely devaluing the property.
    Making a 3 bed property into 2 bed is not recommended. I would be surprised if a 3 bed 1 bath values less than 2bed 2 bath.

The reason I recomended the ensuite next to the bedroom that has bathroom closest to it, is to save on plumbing costs. Since, it already has a bath, it may be cheaper to hook into existing pipes and drains.
    Don't over capitalise on renos.

NewBee, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  15. NewBee

NewBee Member

Thank you, there is no pool and we do not want to get one either.. we prefer large garden and yard :)

skater likes this.
  16. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'd being going this route. I think it's cheaper/simpler and you keep the 3 bedrooms while making master and bed 2 bigger. Plus you have bedrooms zoned off halls and your open living area opening on to backyard (north facing).

You didn't have nib wall from entry measurement, but you can make hall wider and et into master space. Currently master is like 22m2. You could even add small ensuite and WIR to master up near kitchen end if you were inclined.

Last edited: 7th Jul, 2020
    wylie, NewBee and Marg4000 like this.
  17. NewBee

NewBee Member

This is a very interesting idea, thank you! :)

Zimplestiltskin likes this.
  18. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

No problem, if you manage to build in your program then let us know how it goes.