Help with floor plan

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by hvdw87, 28th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

My wife and I recently purchased the attached floor plan. We intend for this to be our forever home and as such are keen to look at opportunities to make this layout suit our lifestyle and family needs.

We love to cook and entertain, so the kitchen dining/meals layout is likely the most important part of the house for us, along with how this flow into the outdoor entertaining area. Whilst the kitchen is functional at the moment, we would be keen to make this bigger in the future.

The second change we are looking at, is creating a 4th bedroom. WIth COVID (working from home) and my wife's family all overseas, an additional bedroom/study with be of benefit to us. Our initial thoughts were around converting the "formal lounge" into a bedroom, however we are concerned about the impact on the dining area and natural light at the front of the house.

Neither of us are experienced or any good a layouts, so we would greatly appreciate any suggestions (and they need not be limited to the issues above).

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

First question is whether you can add a new garage to the front, to free up the car accommodation as living area (allowable setback, slope etc)?

If you can, that would be the cheapest way to manufacture space.

3. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

I don't believe that would be possible. The garage extension would go almost all the way to the footpath, and would also be out of line with both neighbouring properties, so would imagine problematic through council.

Thanks for the idea though!

4. wylie

Possibly worth asking a town planner what the chance would be to build a carport at the front. We have several carports with open sides that are on the boundary in our street, all done to suit the property they front.

First one was approved probably ten years ago and now there are four just in our block. All because a precedent was set with the first one.

Might even be worth seeing if you can get approval for that through a town planner.

5. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

A3D72FB2-AF4B-4A9D-B131-675713DF237D.jpeg
    Only a really rough sketch, if after adding a full
    Bedroom as per below, can add a wall from current living and make a new master from the living space even bigger with a WIR and en-suite where the L shaped wing in the house is.
    You would likely then want an additional living space so suggest an enclosed Alfresco off the sliding doors. Looks like there’s a few m there that could be used relatively cheaply.

If you are happy with a simple study, scrap the above and save the $, simply add a wall at the L shaped wing in the living in line with the master doorway.
    Given it is the width of the shower and a toilet it is likely around 2m or close to it so would be fine for a study but too tight for a realistic bedroom.

Last edited: 28th Aug, 2020
    hvdw87 likes this.
  6. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Great suggestion, will have a chat with one. Certainly seems cost effective, although what would you utilise the garage for given no natural light?

7. wylie

Add a window and make it a separate second living area?

It would make a great master suite, but that involves plumbing that is already there for the existing master suite.

That would allow you to make the existing living area at the front into a home office with maybe a Murphy bed for visitors?

hvdw87 likes this.
  8. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion!

My only concern/query with this is, given we entertain a lot, a large dining area is a must. Either the 4th bed or the separate study, take out the current formal dining area.

9. wylie

Just a quick idea. Not ideal, but allows you not to touch any plumbing (except kitchen sink, but that could be left under the window, but that makes things tight.

Your kitchen looks about 3m wide. Our kitchen is 3m wide and we have normal bench one wall, narrow island in the middle and normal width cabinets on the other side. We have only 800mm walkway and 800mm between sink and island.

It is not ideal, and certainly works for two, but when our kids were growing, it was tight.

Another option is to have one bench one side, and another on the other side, but that makes the kitchen a walkway, which also is not ideal. Could you bump out the side of the kitchen (too costly)?

Anyway, whilst this is not ideal, I reckon the more ideas you see, the more something might jump out at you as being a good idea, a bad idea, or something that might just turn into a better idea.

I've fiddled with the kitchen, but what you do there depends on whether you want to move water or not.

Another alternative is to clear one wall for a walkway and put the kitchen along the wall where I've marked "storage", full width so the fridge pushes into that space, add an island, and have the walkway on the side where the little bump out is. My parents' house was like this, with the kitchen delineated by a dropped bulkhead style ceiling, with a walkway down one side, but they probably had four metres width in total.

And rearranging the kitchen means moving water, which you may prefer not to do.

Many options, and if you leave the cars where they are, this idea won't fly. That narrow kitchen area makes it tricky.

I'd check that garage idea first. 3B8D6C62-A86E-455D-962C-AAB9FDE8DF1F.jpeg

hvdw87 likes this.
  10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I think I would simply enclose the 3.6 x 4.6 living at the front with double cavity sliders onto the new corridor so that you can have them open when you wish to make it feel less corridory. This will be a great multi purpose room that can be a theatre, study, guest bedroom.

The remaining area above it - not sure what it currently is - I would reserve and use that space for when you do the kitchen renovation and you could use that area as a walk in pantry or scullery etc

Archaon likes this.
  11. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Obviously would prefer to avoid structural works from a cost perspective, but if a significant improvement can be made with a minor(ish) modification, then its likely to be significantly less costly than upsizing.

That area is currently a formal dining area. The meals area next to the kitchen is really only suitable for a 4seat round table. We would be looking for a 6-8 seat dining table somewhere. We were looking at the "round" area at the back of the living room as a potential for a dining area, but it looks a bit tight.

12. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

How mature are the trees along the north boundary?

Could you possibly extend out the front of the house to create a Study/4th bedroom?

You have about 4m until you are in line with the garage from what i can assume.

wylie likes this.
  13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Hmm there is no easy wins if you want to keep that formal dining area but if you did pull the kitchen down into that area then the current meals area would be much longer and be able to double as formal and informal. So close off the front lounge into multi purpose room then bring kitchen down to touch the new multipurpose room and increase the current meals area by 1-2m

hvdw87 and Archaon like this.
  14. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

House built in 2003, so still young and should not be protected.

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What area is the house in?

I think you should live in it for a while before changing it.

16. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

House is Bayside Melbourne and we absolutely plan to live in for a couple of years before making any changes.

17. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Have been thinking something as follows (I understand this may be expensive), but keen to hear some thoughts. I really like the idea of making the formal living room a multipurpose room.

upload_2020-8-28_16-41-30.png

18. wylie

That looks pretty good, but perhaps change the "round" roofline to match the other roofline at the front. You get a bigger room if you are changing the roofline anyway and lose the 80's look of that style of truncated "bay window" style. Changing the roof will cost a bit, but the plan looks good.

craigc and hvdw87 like this.
  19. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

- I made the front lounge room smaller but it's suitable for a guest room/study/tv room
    - Added a bay window section to open up the corner space where you had butler pantry in above drawing, mimics the windows on the other side and may not need council approval. This space was opened up so that you could have larger dining table.
    - This design focuses on entertaining, with long kitchen and island bench opening to expansive family/living areas

[​IMG]

hvdw87 and skater like this.
  20. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Here’s an outside the box idea that does not require any structural changes

Attached Files:

Last edited: 29th Aug, 2020
    craigc likes this.