Help with floor plan for extension

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Timmah, 19th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Timmah

Timmah Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice. Myself and my partner are looking to purchase a home for ourselves. We have found the following home in a great suburb with good land size (1 acre). However we would ideally like a larger home.

Looking to get some suggestions on the floor plan, we are thinking to extend the home by 1 bedroom and some additional living space. Really going for the open plan living style. Extension would be to the front of the home. Looking to keep the costs lower by keeping the existing laundry etc in place.

Any input is much appreciated as we would love to hear what some of you experts would do in this situation. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think you should live in it for a while first.

Also, what is your budget for an extension? And which side is north?

The picture says ‘ground floor’ - what’s on the floor above?

Archaon and Stoffo like this.
  3. Timmah

Timmah Well-Known Member

Ideally we would live in it for about 1 year before commencing the renovations. In terms of budget we will be looking to spend roughly 80k on the renovations.

North side is the side with the front verandah and entry position. Thanks for taking the time to leave some input, much appreciated.

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd declutter the crap out of my life and convert the dining into a bedroom...and save a minimum of $80K.

Perhaps cover the alfresco and make it a loggia if you think the living areas are too small....but am guessing its already covered.

craigc and Marg4000 like this.
  5. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Had exactly the same thought. Wouldn't mess with the outside structure but turn dining into BR4 / office. I'd use the saved money to totally modernise the kitchen with an island you could have meal at, and maybe turn the carport into a tandem with lockup potential.

Angel likes this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We are considering "relocating".....
    Above and beyond all we are going to RENT in this area prior, to ensure this is actually an area/suburb/region we want to reside longer term prior to being prepared to spend $30-50k on stamps (let alone relocation costs)
    So unless this purchase is in a known area to yourself, or a future prefered school catchment, tben don't rush to spend your dollars !

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. The position of the dining room is perfect to make a seamless transition. Maybe modenise the kitchen, taking the wall out from the living room.

craigc and Marg4000 like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

If you want 4 tbeds then I agree, convert the dining room.

I'd spend the money on combining the bath/toilet into one to make it a spacious room ... and convert your kitchen and two living areas into one large open plan.

A second living sounds nice but second areas are rarely used ... just put in good Wi-Fi to reach all the bedrooms

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Got to agree with this. Once they reach teenage years, they rarely leave their bedrooms. Parents just aren't 'cool' to hang out with.

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

$80k (and a bit more) will build a comfortable 2 bed granny flat. Just saying.

11. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

I’d create an outdoor room
    With plantation shutters down the kitchen living end of the alfresco. You could also have a door to the carport. Will find a photo. If you did this, with velux sky windows in the roof would not loose light and would be fantastic. Then take the dining room

Attached Files: