Help with extension

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mumbai, 21st Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Since I am still on the house hunt and not able to secure one in my budget and requirements, I am looking for buying something cheaper and making it fit my requirements which are
    - 4 bed
    - 2 bath
    - 2 living

I am open to changing the floor plan AND adding extension behind or on top of exisitng house.
    Budget <125k.
    Looking at this one, which has a big land component, but a smaller house.
    Can the pundits here help me?

upload_2020-7-21_9-1-22.jpeg

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but my first reaction was to remove the bathroom & extend the hallway to where the backyard currently is & extend to a large open area with kitchen, dining & living. Keep the three bedrooms as they are & create the extra rooms you require from what's left. Maybe keep the existing living with the dining becoming a study. Main bed could come from Sunroom, plenty of room for ensuite laundry & main bath could go where existing kitchen is, with a large skylight for ventilation & light.

Westminster and Mumbai like this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Are the internal walls timber frame?

I have lots of ideas but heading to a meeting.

Basically I would:
    1. turn the Living into a master and the dining into an ensuite and WIR.
    2. Put a bathroom and powder room in bed 2.
    3. Remove the main bathroom and extend out bed 3 to make it a wider to 3.6 like the other rooms and lines it up. You may chose to use some of Bed 2's space for robes for Bed 2 and 3
    4. Keep kitchen sort of where it is but put an extension with a living, dining and theatre out the back of the house and orient the kitchen towards that.

I'll be able to draw it later.

This is a very adaptable floor plan so lots of options.

I do note that north is at the front but I believe that it is more lifestyle friendly to put living areas on the south side to interact with the rear garden.

Archaon likes this.
  4. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Thanks @Westminster and @skater , love the suggestions.

I actually loved the idea of making the existing living into master with dining as ensuite, making the bed2 as new bath and extending the kitchen into living, dining and theatre.
    But, given the winters in Melbourne, I would love to soak up as much northern sun as possible.

5. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

Since the OP wants 4br , 2 bath and 2 livings, I cant see $125K is enough including rejig the 2 bathrooms and an extension with multi rooms as nowadays builders are not that reasonable pricing unless have good connections :D

Can be done but very tight as any extensions always come with extra unforeseen costs. Maybe should push to $150K and get $25K Homebuilder ;) if qualify

6. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I understand I need to have a buffer for unforeseens. I may qualify for the homebuilder, but I do not want to make it the reason/focus for the extension. It will be an added bonus if I get it.

7. Westminster

OK very poorly drawn as I couldn't do it on the main floorplan due to there being no area to continue the drawing up

I have no idea how much it will cost but if you want that northern light then I would do a L shape extension so you can get light into the rear extension. The area marked light courtyard resets the ability to get northern light into a rear extension.

I have demolished the sleepout and one of the bonuses of a L shaped extension is that it only needs to join to the existing house at one point which is about 4.5m wide.

To get the flow to work well I ammended the original idea and moved the kitchen over towards where the laundry was and added a WIR to the master.

The kitchen is part old house and part extension and I would make the first extension "cube" 4.5 x 4. That should be enough to give a kitchen of 4.5 x 3 and a dining of 4.5 x 2.5/3. Then a 4.5 x 4.5 living "cube" above that - literally it's all one cube I'm just drawing boxes for defining functionality. Then to the right of that is a 4.5 x 4.5 theatre

That means that the light courtyard is 4m deep and that should be enough to allow northern light into theatre

mumbai2.jpeg

Mumbai likes this.
  8. Westminster

If you want to get northern light into a different room we just mix it up more and put the Theatre where the kitchen dining is then a passageway to a large long 4.5 x 12 open space are which is kitchen, dining, family along the back leading to the alfresco

mumbai2.jpeg

Last edited: 21st Jul, 2020
    willair likes this.
  9. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

You never fail to amaze. Its such a good floorplan. I hope I can get these in my budget.
    That brings me to the question, would you know a good team of tradespeople or a one-stop shop in Melbourne who can help me with the work?

10. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Gave it a shot. Demo the bathroom and back wall of Bed 3/Bath and add 4mx5m extension to make open plan living area. Make Bed 2 into small Laundry (or powder), WIR and Ensuite. Bed 1 is the best Master Bed spot IMO.
    Open up a doorway in Living to create hall for 3 zoned bedrooms (9m2 each) with Laundry made into bathroom.

So 20m2 extension would have to have higher roof with highlight windows facing north to draw sun in. It would want a couple sets of french doors opening to back yard (put them on south or east wall). Including new interior wall construction then think $65k minimum (with plans).
    Demo work DIY.
    Painting DIY ($5k)
    Add $45k for bathrooms and kitchen
    Landscaping for patio and surrounds DIY ($10k)

That's your 125k with a lot of DIY. Doesn't include new flooring or upgrading to heating/cooling or any problems that arise. Spec would be on low side.

I'd recommend spending more on flooring and professional painting tbh. Big bang for buck.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22nd Jul, 2020
    Charlie44, craigc, Archaon and 2 others like this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Wow! I like @Zimplestiltskin plan. It involves a much smaller extension, and gives you everything you asked for. The only change I'd make to that would be to keep the toilet in bed 3 and add a shower, for a second small ensuite and personally I hate walking through the WIR to get to the ensuite, so I'd change that.

Westminster and Zimplestiltskin like this.
  12. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Thanks @Zimplestiltskin. I like your plan too. However, the bed3 and bed4 are 3.2 X 2.6m and 2.6 X 3.5m respectively. I guess they will be pretty small, especially after adding robes to them

13. Zimplestiltskin

Average bedroom size (non-master) in new builds is 9.6m2.
    Bedroom 3 is 2.6x4m = 10.4m2
    Bedroom 4 is 2.6x3.5m = 9.1m2

I think you didn't see that WC is gone in Bedroom 3.

Mumbai likes this.
  14. ParraEels

ParraEels Well-Known Member

Also add cost for drawing, survey, engineering report, CDC fee, PCA insection etc May be $15,000

Zimplestiltskin likes this.
  15. Zimplestiltskin

Yes true. $125k is going to be very low spec. I can't see it being done cheaper with a different layout either, there isn't the floor space. And even when you aim for $125k you know it's going to be $150k minimum.

16. ParraEels

ParraEels Well-Known Member

Extension is generally more expensive than standard construction and some time doesn't even improve the floor plan.

Also, consider Asbestos removal cost. if house is old. Wet area generally got asbestos sheeting even house is a brick house

Zimplestiltskin and Mumbai like this.
  17. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Understand and thats why the budget is $125k, with buffer aside.
    Thanks for working on the plan mate. Really appreciate it.
    Do you know any good team of tradespeople to help me get some quote and get the work done?

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's quite big in many houses. Often the length is 3m & you've got a bit more than that.

19. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Length is not the issue, 2.6m width is. My smaller bedroom in last ppor was 3.5 X 2.6 and it was small even without a built-in robe.

20. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@skater 2.6m is tiny!
    Min width i reckon should be 2.9m x 2.9m usable space where possible.